Registration number placement, Waiex specific

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Registration number placement, Waiex specific

Postby fastj22 » Mon May 13, 2019 8:33 pm

This is for our resident legal beagles and those who feel they are beagles.

For a Waiex, can you put your tail number under the Y tail feathers? Or does it need to be forward of it?

I'm redoing the Super Bee and the typical placement of the tail number on a Waiex, just forward of the feathers will interfere with my design. I'd like to just slip them under the feathers.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Re: Registration number placement, Waiex specific

Postby Rynoth » Tue May 14, 2019 7:44 pm

The guidance reads:

(1) On both sides of the
fuselage between the
trailing edge of the wing
and the leading edge of the
horizontal stabilizer, or
(2) On both sides of the
vertical tail surface.

Since the stabilators are more horizontal than vertical I doubt it would be acceptable to place the numbers on them. And assuming they are "horizontal", it would have to be forward of their leading edge. The stub-rudder on the other-hand might be viable as a "vertical tail surface", but I don't think a standard 6-digit number of appropriate dimensions would fit, however a shorter N-number (fewer digits) might fit if you can get one. Then again, the stub-rudder is more of a control surface than a tail, so that argument might also go both ways.

This is a good question, I wonder what others' opinions might be.
Last edited by Rynoth on Tue May 14, 2019 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby fastj22 » Tue May 14, 2019 9:44 pm

Rynoth wrote:The guidance reads:

(1) On both sides of the
fuselage between the
trailing edge of the wing
and the leading edge of the
horizontal stabilizer, or
(2) On both sides of the
vertical tail surface.

Since the stabilators are more horizontal than vertical I doubt it would be acceptable to place the numbers on them. And assuming they are "horozontal", it would have to be forward of their leading edge. The stub-rudder on the other-hand might be viable, but I don't think a standard 6-digit number of appropriate dimensions would fit, however a shorter N-number (fewer digits) might fit if you can get one. Then again, the stub-rudder is more of a control surface than a tail, so that argument might also go both ways.

This is a good question, I wonder what others' opinions might be.

I found the ruling docs. The numbers must place between the trailing edge of the wing and leading edge of the tail, or the vertical stabilizer. Since us cool cats without vertical stabs, that limits us to the flats between the feathers. Such is our burden for being cool,

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby N190YX » Wed May 15, 2019 1:30 pm

Since the "vertical" tail surfaces are not horizontal on the Waiex, the registration numbers would be readable if placed on the outside surfaces of the Y tail. There is ambiguity here and I think it will boil down to whether the person who signs off the Waiex for flight will approve it. Perhaps you should use vinyl lettering, which would be easy to remove and place between the trailing edge of the wing and the leading edge of the tail, assuming you purchased two sets of your N number. The Air Force puts images and numbers on the Vee tail of the Global Hawk. See photos at: http://www.northropgrumman.com/Capabili ... fault.aspx
N190YX

Postby Sonerai13 » Mon May 20, 2019 11:06 am

In order to best facilitate a smooth and trouble-free airworthiness inspection, I would strongly suggest putting the registration mark (aka "N number") on the appropriate surface of the fuselage on a Waiex. There will then be no question that it is a legal mark. If you start trying to investigate the "ambiguity" of the regulation, you are only asking for problems.

And it doesn't matter what the Air Force does. They are not beholden to FAA rules for such things as aircraft markings.
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Re: Registration number placement

Postby thomasjones42 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:01 pm

Getting ready to put the N-numbers on my Onex. I watched Joe's video on the requirements for the numbers height, width and spacing. When I ordered numbers/letters from A/C Spruce it offered either slanted or straight figures. I bought the slanted version. Anyone know if the slanted ones are acceptable. I"m wondering because the spacing appears to be non-compliant.

Tom Jones
Onex 0133
Aerovee turbo.
thomasjones42

Postby Rynoth » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:21 pm

I have the slanted numbers on my Waiex and had no issues with inspection. I wasn't able to to find any documentation showing why they were/were not acceptable. I had ordered mine from www.nnumbers.com
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby Baronfoer » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:50 pm

I also had no problem. The nameplate is more specific since on various airplanes the numbers can be larger or smaller I don't think it will matter as long as they are clearly visible and you like them!
Baronfoer

Postby Sonerai13 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:45 am

Slanted numbers are fine, so long as they meet the height requirement when measured VERTICALLY rather than along the slant. They also still have to meet all the spacing, width and thickness requirements just as if they were vertical characters rather than slanted.
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby thomasjones42 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:53 pm

Thanks all.

Tom Jones
Onex 0133
Aerovee turbo
thomasjones42