significant oil leaks after adding oil-air separator

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Re: significant oil leaks after adding oil-air separator

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Oct 11, 2024 8:06 pm

funflyingguy wrote:bryan: the only air restriction left in my removed separator is the aluminum plate with about 15 1/8" holes in it. is that where you are at?

Yes - except I bored out the inlet and added a swirly tube.

I may have opened up some of the other passages. I don't remember.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4030&start=100

Edit: as stated the scrubber pads have been removed.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Onex107 » Fri Oct 11, 2024 10:42 pm

I made my own oil/air separator out of a wide mouth one pint "Ball" jar. The Ball jar lid is a two piece that allows the outer part to be unscrewed from the jar without rotating the center of the lid. I put the breather tube through the center of the center piece, surrounded by six holes to allow the jar to vent out the top. A stainless scrubber under the lid helped condense the oil. The jar is marked in ounces so I could measure and record the blowby oil volume. It was mounted on the firewall with a large hose clamp allowing me to loosen the hose clamp, loosen the jar outer ring, and remove the jar to measure and empty the oil. The oil usage of the Aerovee was amazing compared to my Cont. O-200. The O-200 lost the first quart in the first few hours and a quart in 10 was considered normal, where the Aerovee only vented 10 to 12 ounces in 25 hours. I don't believe it is a good idea to return these vapors to the crankcase, and It is another way to measure the condition of the cylinders in addition to the compression check. I can supply a picture by email if you are interested.
( flyvfr@comcast.net )
Onex107 ( N2107X )
Don't tell anyone, but I installed this unit on my Cessna to test it before I built the Onex and a glass jar doesn't bother me either. My 40 year old Cessna had a glass gasculator, approved by the FAA, that never had a problem.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby funflyingguy » Fri Oct 11, 2024 11:00 pm

i do appreciate the feedback. thank you.

(FYI: my recent oil loss was much more than even your continental engine and was all over the cowl and canopy. seemed to start with the backpressure caused by my unaltered air-oil separator. repair in progress i guess..)

jim
funflyingguy

Postby Area 51% » Sat Oct 12, 2024 8:43 am

I had a maddening oil leak that seemed to originate from the hub, but what I discovered after making dams to identify the source, was the radius on the oil pump where the mounting flange meets the pump body was too large and wouldn't let the flange sit tight against the case. High pressure oil was being ejected past the gasket and accumulating everywhere except the point of failure.

A second gasket stopped the flow of oil to the outside of the engine but was an unacceptable long-term fix. A different pump with a smaller radius solved the issue. It is possible, however, the chamfer on the engine case might have been to blame. .
Area 51%

Postby pappas » Sat Oct 12, 2024 3:33 pm

The Anti-Splat Vacuum kit might be able to be used with another separator. It would be worth a phone call to Allen at Anti-Splat to ask that question.

My experience is that he returns phone calls promptly and is completely willing to answer any questions you may have no matter how long the phone call lasts. He has a lot of knowledge. He doesn't try to sell anything but will give you an honest opinion.

Tell him what you have and ask if the vacuum kit might work with your equipment. The worst he could say is no!
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A Flying (2024)
Waiex B Turbo (2016)
RV-8 (2009)
Waiex Legacy 3300 (2007)
Hiperlight SNS-9 (1991)
Falcon Ultralight (1989)
pappas

Postby bvolcko38 » Sun Oct 13, 2024 9:28 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:That bronze thing is definitely a restriction. I took mine out right away. I did some other mods to try and maximize flow and to get the flow moving down and spiraling around the inside of the can. Not long ago I removed the stainless scrubber pads. They looked fine but seemed to have gunked up a bit and I was leaking oil from the crank exit in the front. You definitely need to eliminate back pressure there.

I drilled (8) 1/8" holes in "the bronze thing" in 3 differnt stages, no more leaks or back pressure
Bill Volcko XNS0068
Xenos A N68WV 99% flush rivets
Aerovee and Prince P-Tip
MGL Discovery Lite w/ Sandia STX 165R
V6
First hole 4/1/16
First flight 8/24/18
Phase I complete...finally!!!
Also flying a Challenger II since 1999
bvolcko38

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Oct 13, 2024 9:45 am

bvolcko38 wrote:I drilled (8) 1/8" holes in "the bronze thing" in 3 differnt stages, no more leaks or back pressure

The bronze thing can be seen in the background of this picture. It threaded into the exit hole and I think David made the observation that it would be likely to get oil soaked and become a significant restriction.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Previous

Return to Aerovee