Buying a Used 3300: Generational Differences

Jabiru 2200 / 3300 discussions

Buying a Used 3300: Generational Differences

Postby Badger830 » Wed Oct 09, 2024 3:02 pm

The finish line is starting to appear on the horizon and I'm coming up to a point where I'm starting to consider powerplants. I think I've settled on a Jabiru 3300 and am also considering purchasing used instead of new. Browsing through these forums (and others), it sounds like there can be significant differences in generations on the Jabirus. It also seems that so far, gen 4 has had the most changes. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the extra money to buy a new gen 4 or if a used gen 3 (or maybe even gen 2) is worth the savings. Also, any general advice for buying a used Jabiru would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Badger830

Re: Buying a Used 3300: Generational Differences

Postby snx590 » Sun Oct 13, 2024 10:33 am

Hi Badger,
I have 400 hours on my Gen 2. In terms of "worth"...it kind of depends on how you define it I suppose. How much hands-on engine experience/know-how do you have? I think there would be some good used engines out there, but the more detailed look you can have the better, and you may find a used engine will require some work. Proper cooling cannot be overlooked when installed in the Sonex. If considering used, at minimum I'd be wanting to do a good borescope in each cylinder at both the valves (front and backside) and the cylinder wall, remove all the rocker covers to have good look inside (how much burned oil stains do you see?) and look for any staining on the outside of the head/cylinder interface particularly on the lower and exhaust sides.
You may have already been on the JabCamit groups.io list. There are many discussions there of issues that have been encountered with the older engine versions.

Terry
Sonex #590, J3300
snx590

Re: Buying a Used 3300: Generational Differences

Postby Dave Wolfe » Mon Oct 14, 2024 10:41 am

Make sure spare parts are still available for whatever generation you have in mind
Dave Wolfe

Return to Jabiru