aileron ballance weights

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

aileron ballance weights

Postby n502pd » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:51 pm

Since I am scratch building, I am going to cast my own weights. And I have read about processing lead and will be cautious.

However, the plans give a specific size for the weight, and that is what I am using for my cast mold. In the ballancing proceedure given in the plans, I dont quite comprehend what to do if I should remove too much lead and end up with too little lead installed. If I have to recast and start over, that is ok. But is there an easier method? For the 40 hr sign off I wont paint, and wont polish either. I am leaning towards polishing. But if I paint I do understand the need to reballance after painting. Same question: how to add more weight? What have others done? Screws and washers? Refill the drilled out trim holes with new lead? Does the reinstalled lead stay in the holes? I have never been this far before...so to speak! Thanks for any help! :)
Joe Nelsen
scratch built :D
Sirpeedee, N502PD, s/n 1510, Aero Vee 2.1 s/n 0870,
ADS-B in (Stratux)/out(SkyBeacon)
Flying @78.2
KGYI/N. Tx Reg/Perrin Field
EAA Technical Counselor, Chapter 323, Sherman, TX
n502pd

aileron ballance weights

Postby Sonex825 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:37 pm

I had to add some weight and used some disc shaped flat fishing weights that I drilled through and added under the washers from the through bolts on the weight. Works good but I might have used some longer bolts, I don't recall.

Eric M

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Sonex825

Re: aileron ballance weights

Postby n502pd » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:51 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the flat weights! I had forgotten about them. My castings did come out a bit heavy, and I have not decided if I am polishing or painting, so they are going to stay heavy for now.
Joe Nelsen
scratch built :D
Sirpeedee, N502PD, s/n 1510, Aero Vee 2.1 s/n 0870,
ADS-B in (Stratux)/out(SkyBeacon)
Flying @78.2
KGYI/N. Tx Reg/Perrin Field
EAA Technical Counselor, Chapter 323, Sherman, TX
n502pd

Return to Sonex