Laser cut holes

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Laser cut holes

Postby jdainen » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:48 am

Hi,
I ordered a new spar aft strap from Sonex and the laser cut holes have a lot more excess metal on the back side of the holes. It looks like I have to grind down the metal.

Anybody have a helpful tip to get off the excess.

Thanks
jdainen

Re: Laser cut holes

Postby falvarez » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:01 pm

I typically just use a deburring tool (the one that looks like a countersink w/ a handle) and then go over the holes w/ 400 grit paper to get anything I may have missed. If there are large burrs or a stubborn burr the tool won't get, I use the edge of my steel ruler to know it down like a chisel...then go over it with the deburring tool.
Frank Alvarez
Sonex #800, Aerovee 2.1
Scratch Building (working on Cowl)
falvarez

Re: Laser cut holes

Postby kmacht » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:47 pm

It isn't my idea but one I stole from another post on the yahoo forum a long time ago. I got one of those cheap black and decker power screw drivers and put a long bit in it. I then put one end of a piece of plastic tubing over the bit and the other end over the threaded portion of a deburring tool (unscrewed the portion from the blue handle one most of us have). This gave me a powered deburring tool that flexed. My wrists were killing me from using that blue tool when building the wings. The new setup with the power screwdriver now only takes seconds per hole and no more fatigue. If my description doesn't make sense I will try to get a picture up this weekend when I am back out in the shop.

Keith
kmacht

Return to Sonex