Rotax 9 Oil Hose

Rotax 912 series discussion.

Rotax 9 Oil Hose

Postby Skippydiesel » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:05 am

Yes I know that I can get Rotax 9 oil hose from my local Rotax agent. Unfortunately this would be at a greatly inflated cost, somewher in the region of X4, compared with some other reputable suppliers of similar products.

My 912 is fitted with Continental CONTI – OIL - M4M – 2 - 12 x 3.5 > AEM< 41/19/11 0155 hose details can be found on page 30, in https://merlett.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... en_low.pdf

I would very much like to stick with the Continental M4M-2, as supplied on my new Rotax BUT I dont like to pay any more than the going rate, so am hoping you might help with finding alternative suppliers of the product.

I am unable to find an Australian supplier of this particular Continental hose - I am hoping you can recommend a supplier (with contact email) in your part of the World who may be willing to ship to Australia.

Alternatively;

You might like to tell me what product you are using & why
Skippydiesel

Re: Rotax 9 Oil Hose

Postby SonexN76ET » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:20 pm

A key concern about the Rotax oil hose is that the hoses going from the oil pump to the oil cooler and from the oil cooler to the oil tank are suction hoses. The oil hoses must not collapse under suction while at or above operating temperature. So please ensure any oil hose you purchase is appropriate for suction while hot.

I purchased teflon oil hose with integral fire sleeve from:

http://www.http://aircraftspecialty.com/

Jake
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby Skippydiesel » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:09 pm

SonexN76ET wrote:A key concern about the Rotax oil hose is that the hoses going from the oil pump to the oil cooler and from the oil cooler to the oil tank are suction hoses. The oil hoses must not collapse under suction while at or above operating temperature. So please ensure any oil hose you purchase is appropriate for suction while hot.

I purchased teflon oil hose with integral fire sleeve from:

http://www.http://aircraftspecialty.com/

Jake

Good point Jake,

Mos,t if not all of the hose I have been researching has both a positive and negative pressure/suction rating.

Out of interest why "teflon oil hose with integral fire sleeve" and what was the cost /length (I use mm/m and can convert from feet/yards)
Skippydiesel

Postby Skippydiesel » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:32 am

Strange!

Every Rotax 9 driver will need oil hose, sometime within the next 5 years.

I would have thought the availability of appropriate hose (meeting Rotax specifications) at the right price, would have been a hot topic for Forum/Rotax members .

My research would suggest, that our only Australian Rotax dealership, will sell you oil hose, at approximately $80/m (most Rotax 9's will require between 1 & 2 m for each 5 year rubber replacement) over the price, for a similar product, from a reputable hose manufacturer/supplier.

It could be your Rotax dealership is also expecting to make a financial "killing" out of unquestioning customers.
Skippydiesel

Postby GordonTurner » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:53 am

I have no personal information, but the manufacturer is not in a good position to bring cheap parts/supplies to Australia or anywhere else.

First, likely anything they stock originated at quality control, perhaps in Austria. It is likely procured directly from the manufacturer and represents a known quantity.

This is less true of “real hose” procured on Amazon…but doesn’t mean it’s the only way to get good quality parts.

Second, they are then shipping post-quality control parts/supplies in small quantities from presumably Austria.

If you want known quality procured inspected and shipped by the engine manufacturer then the process is not cheap.

Gordon
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby Skippydiesel » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:23 pm

This is how they "get you by the short & curly's" its actually BS.

I dont purchase parts/materials for aircraft (even automotive) from non reputable suppliers;

eg Gates (Automotive/Marine/Hydraulic) Eaton Aeroquip, Pirtek (Australian hydraulic company) Continental (not for this hose)

A big attraction in the Sonex (for me) is it is NON CERTIFIED/EXPERIMENTAL aircraft.

You can use whatever "stuff" you want.

Having said that, I would strongly advise doing as much due diligence as is possible and apply a very large dollop of common sense/logic to every purchase.

Never purchase critical (to continued safe flight) items that do not have detailed specifications, that you can compare with the manufactures (engine etc).

All the hoses I have considered so far, exceed Rotax specifications for this application (most by a very large margin) and also exceed the Continental CONTI-M4M hose specification's.
Skippydiesel

Postby Skippydiesel » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:23 am

There being little advice from the Sonex family, I have purchased Gates GTH-8 low pressure hydraulic hose.

I would welcome your comments.
Skippydiesel

Postby Skippydiesel » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:24 am

There being little advice from the Sonex family, I have purchased Gates GTH-8 low pressure hydraulic hose.

I would welcome your comments.
Skippydiesel

Postby SonexN76ET » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:05 am

Skippy Diesel,

I highly recommend that you join Rotax-Owner.com to help you get some answers. There is plenty of legitimate and Rotax endorsed information there. I gave you advice on oil hoses but you chose to go in a different direction. There is very limited informed advice on this Sonex builders group here because right now there are so few Sonex aircraft with Rotax engines flying.

Jake
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby Kai » Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:22 am

There must be quite a few R9-series engines in the Sonex by now!

This Sonex A #0525 operator has the Rotax recommended oil hose between tank, cooler and pump. So far everything works as advertised. After 15 years behind a Jab, fretting about all that could go wrong, I decided that enough was enough and again get back into some relaxed flying. Hence I left the experimental engine work and component delection to those in the know and with the facilities to test their findings. I am just happy to follow in their wake- and sod the costs!

Maybe, if you have to ask what original spares cost, a R9- series is not for you after all.

Thx
Kai

Next

Return to Rotax