Onex windshield

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Onex windshield

Postby mccool » Wed Oct 16, 2024 11:23 am

Has anyone replaced their windshield with acrylic? It's much more resistant to gasoline. It would have to be formed of course, but that's not all that difficult to do a flat wrap.
mccool

Re: Onex windshield

Postby GordonTurner » Wed Oct 16, 2024 6:14 pm

You should check on this, but I think acrylic is more brittle which isn’t good should you have a bird strike.
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Re: Onex windshield

Postby 13brv3 » Wed Oct 16, 2024 7:39 pm

mccool wrote:Has anyone replaced their windshield with acrylic? It's much more resistant to gasoline. It would have to be formed of course, but that's not all that difficult to do a flat wrap.

When I had my fuel spill incident, both the windscreen and canopy were destroyed. I'm betting you've seen the thread:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7711

While the acrylic may (I've never verified it) be more resistant, the fuel will still attack drilled holes and edges. It only took a tiny wisp of fuel seeping along the canopy hinge to ruin the canopy. I wouldn't call that very resistant at all.

I have also heard that Lexan/Polycarbonate is better for it's resistance to breaking. I've come sooooo close to some big birds. It's probably best to focus your effort on avoiding the fuel spill, at least for as long as you can.
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (150 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Return to Onex