Valve head assembly cleanup

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Valve head assembly cleanup

Postby Darick » Mon May 05, 2014 9:31 pm

I've just received my engine and started checking parts, specifically the valve head. There are areas between the cooling fins which are blocked by excess metal as a result of the casting process. Some places there is a small hole which could be opened by some careful filing. Some places there is no hole but the area could be opened up by drilling a small hole then filing carefully. My question, is there any danger in doing this other than the obvious careless mistake of breaking through a critical wall?

I couldn't upload a picture here but if you go to my website, there are pictures in the ENGINE menu.
(http://Www.expercraft.com/cdgundy) or just search "Light Earth Aviation".
Oops! It seems Expercraft has changed something. Just try the search of Light Earth Aviation.
Darick Gundy
Sonex #1646
N417DG
Taildragger, Aerovee, center stick, Prince P-Tip Prop
MGL E1, F2, V6 radio, Sandia Xponder, Reserve lift indicator (AOA), iFly 520
First flight! 10/21/2017
Darick

Re: Valve head assembly cleanup

Postby radfordc » Mon May 05, 2014 11:19 pm

You should do this if you expect the engine to cool properly. I used an angle grinder with a thin cutoff disk to open up the fins. I then drilled to open the holes in the passages through the heads. Be very careful not to drill into the ports.
radfordc

Return to Sonex