Taildragger vs trigear

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Taildragger vs trigear

Postby sonex1649 » Mon May 05, 2014 7:34 pm

Looking for advice for my sonex. what would you recommend taildragger or trigear?

Thanks joe
sonex1649

Re: Taildragger vs trigear

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Mon May 05, 2014 7:46 pm

Well Joe, that's a debate that has been, and will continue to go on forever. Ultimately I'd suggest you build whichever one your heart tells you to build and be happy with it regardless.

Logically, the differences are very minimal, especially once they're airborne. Both fly the exact same in the air except the trigear may be just a tad slower. You're talking a very small difference though, maybe a few miles per hour or less.

On the ground, there are some more differences but again they're slight differences. Most will say the taildragger is a little easier to get into and out of. The trigear is more forgiving on the actual takeoff and landing, and will also provide a better view. The trigear is probably a little better in crosswinds. The taildragger is normally a few pounds lighter. Have you ever flown a taildragger? While it's easy to fly, the Sonex taildragger still needs your attention during takeoff and landing.

The debate will go on forever. The bad news is that eventually you'll have to decide which you like more. The good news is, you won't go wrong either way! No matter which way you build, you'll have a blast flying!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby ScottM-Sonex1629 » Mon May 05, 2014 7:49 pm

Hi Joe,

I have asked and debated this question many times. Mostly the response I get is build what you want, but I'll ask the same question others asked me:

Do you have any tailwheel time and endorsement?

I didn't and I got my kit delivered as a tri-gear. I've flown in a tri-gear Waiex a few times and have to say the ground handling is easy. The second time I flew in Steve's Waiex, he let me perform the taxi, and take off, then we flew over to another airport and I shot about 4 T&G's and never really thought about the landing gear.

All of my stick time has been in 152's, 172's and Mooney's.

Your insurance is also going to be less with a tri-gear.

Scott
Scott Meyer
Sonex 1629 - Sold...9/2019
ScottM-Sonex1629

Postby fastj22 » Mon May 05, 2014 8:07 pm

Having had my plane as both with the nose and tail wheel, I definitely like the tail dragger better. It has far more ramp appeal. Ground handling is not that much more difficult. It does take more care on landings in a cross wind, but not that much. Oh and if you don't already have a lot of tail wheel time, you will not be able to get insurance until you have at least 25 hours time in make and model, or at least 10 hours dual in make and model with a CFI (So said Falcon).
Several Sonex have been converted from tri to tail like mine. I've not heard of anyone going from tail to trike.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby Flyingejk51 » Wed May 07, 2014 1:17 am

Mine is a Trigear, my hanger buddy's is a taildragger (both Waiex's),either is as much fun as the other, arguably the taildragger looks cooler, but I have less hassles on the ground, after all we got the aircraft to fly,not to taxi it. Go with whatever suits you.
Last edited by Flyingejk51 on Wed May 07, 2014 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flyingejk51

Postby CRAZEDpilot » Wed May 07, 2014 1:56 am

There is one universal truth about taildraggers in the ongoing argument that will always be true - tailwheels have a mystique that people will forever admire in the plane, and the respect that comes with flying it well. The COST for that is of course more of a handful on landing and some consistency you must bring to the table, mostly in staying current with your landing and takeoff skills. Fly semi often, and the tailwheel ferry dust shall put a smile on your face that will never go away!

I recently did a checkout flight in my recently acquired Saratoga - the owner of the 200 student flight school in Florida who was my checkpilot for the day says, "Well --- this won't take long, since you're a taildragger bush plane owner already that means you're a good pilot". You can't buy that kind of respect - it only comes with taildraggers! :)

~Brendan
CRAZEDpilot

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed May 07, 2014 7:07 am

I honestly used to be a tailwheel snob. That was when I was younger and less mature. Thinner too, though that is not a factor in the tri vs tail debate. If the thought of tailwheel is stressful, why do it to yourself? We do this for fun. If the challenge or ramp appeal interests you, go for the taildragger. If I can do it anybody can. There is no wrong answer. I would get a tailwheel endorsement, or at least a couple hours of dual if you are on the fence.

These days when I rent I fly either a C140 or a C152. I like them both.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby daleandee » Wed May 07, 2014 10:18 am

I had a trigear, now I have a tail wheel. Tri-gear Sonex was the easiest tricycle geared airplane I've ever landed.

I had a bit of trepidation about the tail wheel Sonex. It was unwarranted as the tail wheel Sonex is very well behaved. Here is an excellent article that shows the many benefits of flying tail wheel aircraft:

http://airfactsjournal.com/2013/08/why-you-must-fly-a-taildragger/

Dale Williams
N319WF @ 6J2
Myunn - "daughter of Cleanex"
120 HP - 3.0 Corvair
Tail Wheel - Center Stick
62.1 hours / Status - Flying
daleandee

Postby mike.smith » Wed May 07, 2014 9:52 pm

fastj22 wrote:Having had my plane as both with the nose and tail wheel, I definitely like the tail dragger better. It has far more ramp appeal. Ground handling is not that much more difficult. It does take more care on landings in a cross wind, but not that much. Oh and if you don't already have a lot of tail wheel time, you will not be able to get insurance until you have at least 25 hours time in make and model, or at least 10 hours dual in make and model with a CFI (So said Falcon).
Several Sonex have been converted from tri to tail like mine. I've not heard of anyone going from tail to trike.

I got my insurance with 25 hours total tailwheel, including 5 with Joe at Sonex. I just sent in the first insurance check yesterday.

Mike Smith
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby andrewp » Wed May 07, 2014 10:44 pm

1. The Sonex is the easiest taildragger to taxi, take off and land in. It isn't even fair. I am sure you can get yourself in trouble with it, but I am an extremely ordinary pilot and I have yet to have it put me in a bad position yet.
2. There are some nicely done nose dragger sonex and waiex airframes running around, but I have not regretted for a second doing it as a tail dragger. It is all in the eye of the beholder, but I think it looks a tiny bit better.
3. I had no tailwheel experience before the Sonex. It was a bit of a pain getting the endorsement, but it makes you a better pilot. Yes the insurance was a little annoying to organize initially, but I just stuck close to the airport for the initial hours.
4. Whoever said about tailwheel credibility, they are absolutely right. People read stuff into it, whether it is deserved or not!

Andrew
"Flyin' Matilda"
andrewp

Next

Return to Sonex