Wing gap seal

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Wing gap seal

Postby mike.smith » Sat May 10, 2014 7:46 pm

For whatever reason, my plans-built wing root doublers, after being trimmed to the correct dimension off the fuselage, do not allow the rubber gap seals to fit.

The problem is that the edge of doublers for at least 50% or more of their length, are nearly flush with the inner most rib. So there is a zero distance between the edge of the doubler and the face of the rib, or very nearly zero. That means the channel of the gap seal has nothing to hold onto for 50% of the wing roots.

Has anyone else had this issue (probably more of a plans-built issue)?

My current solution is to try a P-shaped seal where I can double-stick-tape the seal onto the face of the rib so it gets "squished" between the rib and the fuselage, and will bulge slightly above the top surface of the root doubler. But this only works for the 50%. At the other 50%, the distance from the rib to the fuselage side is more correct, and the seal won't squish.

I don't think adhering the the gap seal to the top of the doublers is a viable solution. It will likely come off in short order. And I have polished wings, so I'd have a hard time working the buffer around the seal without it knocking the seal off.

If anyone else has any bright ideas I'm open.

Mike Smith
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Re: Wing gap seal

Postby kmacht » Sat May 10, 2014 9:06 pm

3m 08008 black super weatherstrip adhesive. The rubber will tear before it comes unglued. Just make sure you prep the surface according to directions and work fast. The stuff completely sets up in 5 minutes. Don't buy the yellow stuff. It doesn't work nearly as well

Keith
kmacht

Re: Wing gap seal

Postby mike.smith » Sun May 11, 2014 12:11 am

kmacht wrote:3m 08008 black super weatherstrip adhesive. The rubber will tear before it comes unglued. Just make sure you prep the surface according to directions and work fast. The stuff completely sets up in 5 minutes. Don't buy the yellow stuff. It doesn't work nearly as well

Keith

Thanks, Keith. At $10 it's worth a try. Gotta' love the free 2-day shipping with Amazon Prime!

Mike
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Return to Sonex