Oil cooler instalation

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Oil cooler instalation

Postby Chatterton » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:15 pm

Have Sonex with Jab 3300 and am told it ought to have an oil cooler fitted. The silencer is in the way to mount as per the Sonex diagrams. Would appreciate hearing from anyone else with cooler in 'non standard' place. Where, how, what size/effect etc. Bob Chatterton.
Chatterton

Re: Oil cooler instalation

Postby tonyr » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:20 pm

Hi Bob,

The Jab 2200 suffers the same problem when the silencer is fitted.
I made a fibreglass shroud to completely enclose the cooler. Entry and exit air is independant of engine cooling airflow.
Additionally I have made an cockpit controlled exit door, to enable me to vary the airflow and control oil temperature.
This hasnt flown yet but is very close. It is modelled on similar Jab 2200 installations by Gus Schlegel (#385) and Brian Heinmiller (#134), so I anticipate it will work ok, with the added bonus of being able to open and close the exit door.
The control is mounted on the front of the spar tunnel, in the centre. (No room on the left hand side near throttle etc as it was a "late" addition)
Sorry if the pics are a bit blurry, but hopefully they will give you an idea to work with.

Cheers Tony

richo_oilcooler_door.jpg
Door is cable controlled from cockpit. It is not screwed into place in the photo, but stays with the aircraft when cowl is removed.
richo_oilcooler_door.jpg (139.12 KiB) Viewed 1737 times

Richo_oilcooler_naca.jpg
Homemade 3" NACA duct
Richo_oilcooler_naca.jpg (485.76 KiB) Viewed 1737 times

Richo_oilcooler_remotesensor.jpg
Expoxy fibreglass shroud made in 2 pieces
Richo_oilcooler_remotesensor.jpg (297.6 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
tonyr

Re: Oil cooler instalation

Postby Chatterton » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:07 pm

Many thanks for that, Tony.

Regards, Bob.