Modifications to Sonex #1327

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Modifications to Sonex #1327

Postby DCASonex » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:56 am

The set of files previously on the Sonex plans forum has been relocated to: >>> https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/sonexbuilders/info <<<<.
Sonex # 1327 is a single center stick TD with Jabiru 3300. Modifications include the following:
Auto-pilot roll and pitch servo mountings.
Battery box for PC680 battery with integral firewall stiffener.
Canopy -- Todd's -- Bonded.
Cooling the Jabiru 3300.
Horizontal split cowl.
Distributor cap lead retainer.
Dual throttle (pairs nicely with single center stick)
Electric flap operator.
Alternate sequence and method for assembly of fuselage and tail-cone.
Improved seal of exhaust pipes to 3 into 1 junctions on Jabiru 3300.
AERO LED Micro-Sun landing light.
Mounting the GRT Magnetometer.
Modified panel to retain structural strength when bisected by large EFIS display.
Adding felt seals to Van's large low cost plastic eyeball air vents.
Fuel tank vent that allows full capacity without splash back onto windshield or siphon.
GP disk brakes with toe pedal operator, larger 5.00 x 5 tires, and modified wheel pants. Plus low cost 6" tail wheel and bracket.
DCASonex

Re: Modifications to Sonex #1327

Postby corton » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:45 pm

Hi, DCA;

Well, you've certainly ticked off all the boxes on the options list! ;-)

Have you weighed it yet? I'd be curious where the scales tip out at.

Carl
corton

Postby sonex1284 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:07 pm

David, Thanks for taking the time to move all of these over from the Yahoo site. Even though we may not all implement the "prop extension," you have a lot of great ideas! - Mike #1284
Mike Kelley
The Villages, FL 32163
Sonex 1284, N154MK, Tri-Gear w/Jab 3300
sonex1284

Postby DCASonex » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:48 pm

Carl;,
Sonex # 3137 was built to allow a couple of old farts to fly cross country in comfort, not the usual mission for Sonex. As a result it has other features such as heavier more comfortable upholstery, and all the extras do add up, weighs about 722 lb. Fortunately, wife and I are not over-sized and this works for us. Just under the 950 lb aerobatic limit with me and half fuel, but need 5 lb secured in baggage keep within CG limits for that. Have done testing flying to 1,250 lb. at which it still behaves nicely with stall speed comfortably under sport pilot limit, and the 3300 provides plenty of power. I restrict it to "normal" category limits when over 1,150 lbs. It has partial paint, partial polish to help with weight. I call it lazy man's polish, painted hard to polish parts, under side of wings and tail and all movable control surfaces. Not expecting anyone to copy everything, but the list can be a source for ideas and food for thought. One option is missing, auxiliary fuel, decided preferred to land more frequently to empty other tanks.

Mike,
If you have not gotten to fitting your cowl yet, do a trial fit before cutting off back edges of cowl, that prop extension makes fitting the cowl MUCH easier. I think prop extensions can be purchased from Prince propellers.
David A.
DCASonex

Postby corton » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:02 pm

Sounds like you've done your homework, David;

Should be a fun ride!
corton

Return to Sonex