Rivets N' Ailerons

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Rivets N' Ailerons

Postby jmattson » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:14 am

Ok, so here is my situation... The guy I bought my project from decided to use solid driven rivets wherever practical. Looks really good but I'm torn between which way to go now. Do I stick with the solid rivets to make the project "complete" (maybe increase resale value???)? OR Since I would like to actually fly the thing sometime just start using standard pull rivets? Somebody have .02 on this?

Next situation is the acro ailerons... I haven't paid the $100 plans transfer fee yet so I'm in the dark as to what the different is between the standard ailerons and acro ailerons. I understand they're bigger and yield higher roll rate but I'm talking about actual parts and assembly. I plan on transferring plans soon but until then I don't want to screw anything up... Thanks guys.
Josh Mattson
Sonex #555
Springfield, Il.
jmattson

Re: Rivets N' Ailerons

Postby SvingenB » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:59 am

I think it depends on how far the project has come.
Reserved LN-ENX for Onex #134
Onex build log
SvingenB

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:19 am

I like driven rivets. They are not a barrier. They may add a little time to your project with the main issue being you will need or want a helper some times. Having said this, I am using the pops for simplicity. Plus my 12 year old is a pop riveting fiend. We get the parts laid out and he zaps them together. They are great for building with kids. After this we will finish my hummelbird and that is driven rivets except as required for some closeouts.

I am going for acro ailerons. They give you long flap and aileron skins. As a simplification you trim and build the flaps short if you want acro ailerons.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Rynoth » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:17 am

I'm also going to aerobatic ailerons, though I haven't built them yet. In looking forward in the plans, there appears to be no hardware or parts difference, other than the fact that you need 2 control surface skins (per wing) of sufficient length to cut down to proper size for flaps/ailerons. They use the same number of ribs in the kit (I think 1 or 2 ribs from the old flap go into the larger aileron). Basically you end up taking about 16" off the flap and adding 16" to the aileron, making them very similar in length.

The aileron bellcrank and pushrod locations stay the same (as do the flap pushrods.) You do end up having to make a small cutout in the aileron for the pushrod, since it comes through 16" from the inboard end of aileron rather than the inboard rib of the aileron.

Honestly, unless I'm missing something, I think that it wouldn't be hard to retrofit aerobatic ailerons/flaps on an existing sonex, as long as the piano hinges lined up correctly.

Edit: Since the flaps pivot from the bottom and the ailerons from the top, I think the only difference in the way the wings are built is where the piano hinges go.
Last edited by Rynoth on Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby jmattson » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:50 am

Thanks for the comments guys. I think I may just go with pull rivets, I don't have any of the solid rivet hardware anyways. Thanks for looking ahead in the plans as well Ryan about the acro ailerons-it seems like the guys who have put them on really like them.
Josh Mattson
Sonex #555
Springfield, Il.
jmattson

Postby Fastcapy » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:10 pm

-----
Last edited by Fastcapy on Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Postby jmattson » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:22 pm

Mike, thanks for the comments and information. I may just talk to the guys up at Sonex and see what can be done about the aileron counterweight. I talked to the gentleman I bought my project from today and he suggested I buck where I can; like the internal wing structure etc. Where I don't have room to buck I should pull. So I suppose my project will end up being a combination of both, and I'll be perfectly content with that. Thanks guys.
Josh Mattson
Sonex #555
Springfield, Il.
jmattson

Return to Sonex