What size gap for Vans Wing root seal?

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

What size gap for Vans Wing root seal?

Postby kmacht » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:10 am

I'm finally fitting my wing root doubler and wing walk. I want to put a rubber seal between the fusealage and the wing and was told that vans sells a nice one that can be trimmed to fit the sonex. Does anyone know what the vans part number is and more importantly what size gap between the wing and the fusealage I need to trim the doubler to?

Keith
kmacht

Re: What size gap for Vans Wing root seal?

Postby Rick524 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:30 pm

Don't remember the part number, but the gap is 3/16".

Rick
Sonex 524
Rick524

Postby kmacht » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:53 am

Thanks. I found the seal on the vans website. Now I just have to figure out how to trim the metal strips and get the holes drilled. This is one of the few places where sonex left us scratch builders a bit stuck. The instructions tell us to rivet up the wings and then install the wing walk and doublers. The only problem with that is that the wings and ribs now have the holes in them but the wing walk and doublers don't. You are left trying to locate and drill the holes though the wingwalk based on already existing holes in the wing that can't be seen since they are coverd by the wing walk you are trying to drill. I'm sure I will figure it out somehow but there are times those laser drilled parts would have really come in handy.

Ketih
-
kmacht

Postby Rick524 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:00 am

You need a strap duplicator. Aircraft Spruce have them, or you can make your own. Very easy to
make. I drilled my doublers using one and it came out perfect.
You just need to get the doublers close to the right size so they will sit on the wing in the proper
place. Then use the duplicator to drill the rivet holes and cleco the doubler in place. Then make
a spacer with a small hole in it 3/16" from one edge for a sharpie to fit into and slide it around the
wing to make a mark on the doubler. Then remove the doublers and carefully trim to your line.
Put the doubler back on and check the gap. If all is good, you're done!

Lazer shmazer, I'm a scratch builder too. lol.

Rick
Sonex 524
Rick524

Postby Rick524 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:05 am

The wings need to be on the aircraft to set your 3/16" gap.
That's kind of obvious, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Rick
Rick524

Postby kmacht » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:12 am

Thanks for the advice. I have a strap duplicator and have tried using it but never got the hang of it. It seems like the duplicator I have is too thick. When you place it under the metal it lifts it up quite a bit so that your hole is no longer directly lined up when you remove it and put the metal back down. I'll have to take a look at the ones spruce sells to see if they are any different than the ones I bought at Oshkosh a few years ago. If that doesn't work I think my next plan of attack is going to be to make a template for the doubler from some .030 plexi glass. I can see through it to drill the holes (need to look straight on) and then transfer drill those holes to the metal doubler.

Keith
kmacht

Postby Rick524 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:00 pm

Hmmmm....I don't remember any problems when I drilled mine. You're right about the duplicator
being thick. Just try making a duplicator from .025 and see if the holes line up better. Your plan
of using plexi would work too. Good luck!

Rick
Sonex 524
Rick524

Postby kmacht » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:57 pm

I just finished up the wing walk using the plexiglass method and it worked awesome. It was very easy to see the holes undeneath and make the template. When I transfer drilled the template to the metal everything fit perfectly. I highly recomend the method.

Keith
kmacht

Postby Gibbsfamily1 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:07 pm

I used 3/16th but still had to glue the seal to the wing with weatherstrip adhesive.
Gibbsfamily1

Return to Sonex