adding an extension to the bottom of the instrument panel

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

adding an extension to the bottom of the instrument panel

Postby dtwolcott » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:36 am

I am wanting to add some additional space to the panel. I have seen pictures of panels where this has been done. My question to those of you who have done this. How much did you add to the bottom, 2, 2 1\2 or 3 inches? Did the extension create any problems with getting in or or out of the cockpit? I currently do not have the seat pan in or I would experiment myself. What would suggest?
Don
Waiex 132
Don
Waiex 132 N132YX
3MY
dtwolcott

Re: adding an extension to the bottom of the instrument pane

Postby ldmill » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:19 pm

Don,
A friend of mine added a 2" lower extension on his panel and it did require some changes for him. He did shorten his stick slightly if I remember correctly due to his grip being tall enough that it would catch the bottom of the extension. Later on he migrated to a hydraulic brake system with a stick mounted brake handle from Matco, and he had to shorten the brake lever some.

I did not put a bottom extension on mine but have added enough stuff underneath it that I probably should have (Dial-a-trim, Verneer throttle, choke and electric carb heat for my Bing carb, fuel shutoff rod, headset and MP3 player plug-ins). I don't have a stick grip interference issues. However, I also changed to a full Matco hydraulic brake system (including wheels) with a stick mounted master cylinder - and everything clears for me just fine (I just checked and didn't have to cut for clearance). Note that it starts getting tight getting in/out when you hang stuff underneath the dash. I flew my Waiex yesterday with lightweight hiking boots and you've got to watch what you are doing getting in/out.

My one concern would be if I've ever had to remove the fuel tank. I've heard that it can be an issue if you've got accessories hanging out on the bottom of the stock dash.

Lorin Miller
N81YX- Jab3300 with 145 hours and going strong
Last edited by ldmill on Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ldmill

Postby gammaxy » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:53 pm

ldmill wrote:My one concern would be if I've ever had to remove the fuel tank. I've heard that it can be an issue if you've got accessories hanging out on the bottom of the stock dash.

I'm pretty sure you have to take the whole instrument panel out anyway if you ever remove the tank.
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Postby nwawingman » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:52 pm

Don,
I have about 2 1/2 inch extension on my panel. Like Lorin said, you will need to cut your control stick off about 3/4 of an inch to clear. I think the 2 inch channel would be better, but I just used what material I had at the time. My knees don't hit when flying but it does make it a little tighter getting in and out. I have some photos of the panel on my kitlog link.
Rick Wantz - Arkansas
Sonex 367 T/W AeroVee/Aeroinjector - Prince Elliptical Prop <361hrs
1st Flight 7/13 KOSHX3 Young EaglesX14
http://www.mykitlog.com/wingman
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2TNLK ... A63FvnPkNA
nwawingman

Postby Sonex1462 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:07 am

I added a 2" center section for the Throttle and Trim. I then added 1 1/2" sections on the left and right for the headphone jacks.
I did not need to trim the control sticks. I have no problem getting in and out of the seats. I can still get under the panel to work on things.

John Stewart
Sonex 1462

http://stewartaircraft.net
John Stewart
Sonex 1462
Kit, Aerovee, Tri Gear, ST Controls

Sonex1462

Postby dtwolcott » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:32 am

Thanks Guys
That was the information I needed. I decided to put a 2" by 18" extention only on the right side and left the left side without one for now. This provided a face for the transponder as well as additional space for the circuit breakers and a 12 volt outlet and what else come up.
Don
Don
Waiex 132 N132YX
3MY
dtwolcott

Postby Sonex541 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:36 pm

i used aluminum angle iron 1 3/4 i think and used two pieces one on each side with a angle to look decent , have my toggle switches, fuel shutoff, two 12v lighter sockets . i did have to trim my stick a bit any ways when i put the infinity grip on , very happy with the results
Sonex541

Postby tonyr » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:18 am

2" folded .032" channel extension.
No interference with sticks.
Can be removed for maintenance or even redesign. Attached with screws and nutplates next to the vents and across its top, accessed when the instrument panel is folded down.
Sonex #813
First Flight... 4 Oct 14
298 hours having fun!
http://sonexaus.wikispaces.com/Tony+%28Richo%29+Richardson+Sonex+813
tonyr

Postby kevin814 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:32 pm

Don,

My center stick Sonex also has a two inch extension under the dash. When I fly in the center I have enough leg room, but when I fly left seat my knees hit the dash and it is very difficult to work the rudder pedals unless I remove the padded backrest from the seat. My plane doesn't use the lowered seat mod, and this could be a factor. I'm 6'2 with a 34 inseam. If your legs are a little shorter I don't think you will have a problem. It IS nice having the additional dash space.

My dash and the extension are riveted with the stainless rivets. I wish it was set up as others have done with screws or hinges. If I ever have to remove the panel or fuel tank my installation will become a real hassle. Some have said that stainless rivets are needed for structural rigidity, but I have never heard of a problem from people who have used screws, hinges, or even aluminum (easily drilled out) rivets.
Kevin K.
Cincinnati
Sonex 130 Taildragger, Jab 3300 w/Rotec TBI, 6" tailwheel,
kevin814

Postby kevin814 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:40 pm

Tony,

I really like your installation. I think that should be an optional build in the Sonex plans. Simple and cheap is good, but little extras like that can make living with the plane much easier.

tonyr wrote:2" folded .032" channel extension.
No interference with sticks.
Can be removed for maintenance or even redesign. Attached with screws and nutplates next to the vents and across its top, accessed when the instrument panel is folded down.
Kevin K.
Cincinnati
Sonex 130 Taildragger, Jab 3300 w/Rotec TBI, 6" tailwheel,
kevin814

Next

Return to General Discussion