Canopy Woes. Don't do this!

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Canopy Woes. Don't do this!

Postby Scott Todd » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:32 pm

I bought a Onex project from a dear friend that ran into medical issues. I've had it about 2 years and am nearing completion. About the last thing to do was to check the canopy and fit one of Peter Anson's latches based on Fritz original design. I hadn't actually seen or taken the canopy out of the box until a few day ago. It was a good fit and he did a nice job.

I researched the heck out of drilling in it to make the 5/8 hole required for Peter's latch. I used some soapy water, a few drops of Dawn in some tap water, for lubricant. I took my time and spent about 20 minutes drilling the hole. It came out really nice. I tinkered with the parts for about 30 minutes and noticed as the water dried, it left a film, presumably the soap. I grabbed a bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol in a small spray bottle to rinse it off and blast the chips out of the frame. I turned my back and started hearing popping noises. I turned around to see this!

I was devastated. DON'T do this! I had no idea. A little Googling after the fact clearly shows Alcohol and Acrylic don't mix. I finished the latch and will watch what happens. I would like to get it flying before I change it. The windshield has a blemish from original builder and needs replaced also. I was going to wait thinking I may have an oops learning to re-fuel. Its a bit embarrassing but I wanted to share to maybe prevent another builder form a similar mistake.

Scott
Attachments
IMG_2490.jpg
IMG_2487.jpg
Scott Todd

Re: Canopy Woes. Don't do this!

Postby rick9mjn » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:33 am

thanks............please thank , about moving this idea / post to the ""lessons learned" section
good day / rick
rick9mjn

Postby pappas » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:55 am

Scott,
That is a shame. Another thing for builders to avoid is to use anything like Locktite on those screws that attach the canopy or windshield to their frames. The same thing will happen.
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A Flying (2024)
Waiex B Turbo (2016)
RV-8 (2009)
Waiex Legacy 3300 (2007)
Hiperlight SNS-9 (1991)
Falcon Ultralight (1989)
pappas

Postby Scott Todd » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:27 am

Good idea Rick. I posted a blurb over in Lessons Learned but an Admin can delete/move this over if they like.
Scott Todd

Postby XenosN42 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:33 am

Sorry to see your cracked canopy. On the other hand the paint job and decals look great.

I have found that the best thing to use on the canopy and windscreen is WATER. Pure clean water. If I get a drop of fuel on the windscreen I just pour a little water on it right away. I've never had any crazing or cracks.
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby ldmill » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:12 pm

I had a friend of mine who had suntan lotion on his right arm set it on the inside of my right upper longeron and against the canopy/frame during a 1 hour flight. I didn't notice it immediately and about 2 days later found a whole bunch of 1/4" long horizontal cracks (probably around 50 or so) right where his forearm leaned against it. There are probably 40-50 small cracks in a 4" x 2" area. They all go partially through from inside out, but none go all the way through. This happened after the canopy had been in place for about 100 hours flight hours. It is the newer blend of canopy material. 6 years and 250 flight hours later they are still there and the cracks have not propagated any further. I've cleaned the canopy many times and bumped this area in normal wear and tear and it doesn't appear to have been dramatically compromised - but I'm waiting.
I now warn all passengers to make sure they don't have any suntan lotion on - or wear a long sleeve shirt if they do. I'm not 100% positive that this is from the lotion, but highly suspicious of it. And no, I don't know what brand of lotion he was using.

Lorin
ldmill

Postby Direct C51 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:44 pm

Benn there, it sucks. http://sonexbuilders.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3898 It's unfortunate that you didn't see my post several years ago about isopropyl and canopies. I'll rebuild it someday...
Direct C51

Return to General Discussion