Rotec TBI Setup

Jabiru 2200 / 3300 discussions

Re: Rotec TBI Setup

Postby WaiexN143NM » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:12 pm

Hi all,
We had trouble with the aerocarb, mostly sticking slide and getting a good idle on our jabiriu 3300. We put a lot of effort into getting it to work correctly, but decided to try the rotec 40 -s TBI. Some people have good luck and no problems with the aerocarb/aeroinjector set up. Manufacturing units to the same tolerances? Anyway we walked over to the rotec booth at Oshkosh and purchased the rotec tbi. We are very pleased , easy to adjust the mixture and stops. We have a aeroconversion throttle quadrant . Built our own carb heat box(rotec says carb heat is required, but that is another good discussion to have reference tbi carbs) , the filter is a K&N , about double the size of the sonex filter. The primer / regulator is in line next to the tbi. We ran a short cable up to the fuel filler box with a ring on it. During preflight with the fuel filler door open we pull the cable/ring for 5 seconds to initially prime. The engine easily starts every time after that w no prime. The fuel valve under the tank still needs to be shut off or fuel will drip out of the rotec tbi. We had our first flight jan16. To all of u out there keep building!! Try to attend Airventure Oshkosh and attend the Monnett's annual homecoming on Sunday and the hangar party on Monday , it will keep u motivated thru the year.

Michael RADTKE
Waiex N143NM
Jabiriu 3300
Rotec TBI
All Dynon w backup steam guages
WaiexN143NM

Postby SonexN76ET » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:13 am

Did you need a fuel pump with the Rorec TBI? I see their websitebsays it can work with gravity fed fuel systems. It suggests a fuel pump may be necessary for some instances. I am considering the new Mk 2 Rotec TBI just announced.
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby marsolgp » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:50 am

Quick answer (for a Sonex) is no. I do have an electric pump installed, but only use it occasionally to prime the TBI if it has sat awhile. I have never needed it for flight (or T/O)
I actually installed the pump as a safety item in case I run into vapor lock issues….. which I have not had yet.
G. Marsolais
Waiex w/Turbo Aerovee
Rotec TBI, Sensenich Climb Prop
MGL Xtreme EFIS & EMS
A/P, iFly720 w/ADS-B
marsolgp

Postby 142YX » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:08 am

SonexN76ET wrote: I am considering the new Mk 2 Rotec TBI just announced.

MK 2 Rotec TBI? Do you have a link to this announcement? Couldn't find anything about it on their website..
Waiex # 142 - Taildragger, Jabiru 3300
First Flight - July 13th, 2015
450 hours and counting..
142YX

Postby SonexN76ET » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:21 am

Here is what I just received from Rotec on the Mk2 TBI. As many of you know from my posts, I have been a fan of the AeroInjector for its simplicity. However, I am intrigued by this new product...

Hi Jake,

Firstly, if you haven’t already seen our website, please refer to: http://www.rotecaerosport.com/products/tbi/ – many of your questions will be answered at this site.

Rotec are pleased to announce the release of its new Mk2 series of TBI. Like the previous series the Mk2 range will continue to cover 34,40 and 48 mm diameter bore sizes at the same horse power ranges. Also the same variety of engine mounting will be retained, ie -R, -S, -2, -3, -4, -4/5. From the small VW right through to the O-540, we have them all covered.

The Mk2 series offers the same reliable performance and follows the exact same principles as the Mk1 series. The main differences are that we have now incorporated the metering regulator which was previously a separate item. On the Mk2 the fuel metering regulator is integral with the main throttle body.

We have also moved the idle mixture screw to the opposite side of the unit and away from the throttle cable thus making adjustment easier and more accessible.

We have also developed a different slide sealing system and the slide seals are now longer in length and captivated by roll pins as opposed to pesky start clips.

We have also added some etched decals around the unit to help the user identify the various functions and adjustments required set up and operate the unit.

The Mk2 series TBI is identical in its flange to flange length as the previous model, the new unit has been designed to be very compact and with the complete metering regulator now built in, yet the transverse length has only increased by a ¼”.

Our unit is almost identical to the Ellison which we tested and were impressed with. So we decided to make our own which we think is even better! Certainly a lot cheaper and spare parts are worth only a few bucks. Reason for this is, unlike the Ellison unit, we make the entire unit in-house whereas they shop out most of the job.

The Rotec TBI is a very simple system that works so well. Remember this system is NOTHING like the Aero carb or other Posa derivatives which are, to be frank, impossible to set up and downright dangerous.

The Rotec TBI is set up free, just organize your throttle and mixture cable. You will have full mixture control from a properly metered, single point mechanical fuel injection throttle body. The dynamic metering device is the secret, this constantly adjusts fuel pressure in relationship to engine power and fuel demand. The Posa types DON’T do this.

Auto gas is ok. Avgas is ok. No problems at all with auto gas, but you must keep the fuel lines covered with a sleeve to keep them cool and away from any potential vapor lock caused by excessive heat - our unit has the ability to clear vapor lock whereas the Ellison does not have a flow valve bi-pass like ours does. Our unit has a primer system built in which basically overrides the flow control valve opening fully which is great for priming and also for clearing any vapor lock. (Not that we have seen any to date nor have our customers reported any instances of VL) .

Gravity feed is ok too, but if you intend on doing aerobatics then you will need a simple low pressure fuel pump - either driven off the engine or an electric boost pump.

If while doing aerobatics your engine quits you would pull on the primer, this basically overrides and opens the flow control valve and allows fuel to enter the TBI unrestricted. Re-starting under these circumstances should be easy.

But the only reason the TBI would stop the engine is if it is stopped being fed fuel.

Please see a great example at: http://www.rotecaerosport.com/projects/tbi-projects/

90% of our customers do not use carb heat because the Rotec TBI does not have a tendency to ice. A demonstration of this can be seen at this You Tube link – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4szv3ZBSJjw - which is an Ellison throttle body being subjected to extreme icing tests. It should be noted that our unit is identical to the Ellison in all respects – except price!

The TBI can be safely used depending on the turbo configuration. Please see the following FAQ/advisory for more information on the TBI and Turbocharging: http://www.rotecaerosport.com/faqs/tbi-air-pressure/.

You will need the TBI-34-2 for your Aerovee 2180.

For more information / support regarding the TBI product, please go to: http://www.rotecaerosport.com/support/tbi-support/. Please note that our current TBI Installation Manual is currently being revised and will be available as soon as possible.

The Mk2 series is expected to retail at USD $899 per unit + $85 packaging/shipping (Total USD $984) but, for a limited period, we will be offering the Mk2 series at the introductory price of USD $789 per unit (plus shipping). All units come with full 12 months parts and manufacturing warranty.

Please note that we still have a very limited number of MkI TBI-48-4/5 units available at the discounted price of USD $749 per unit (usually USD $799) plus FREE shipping (usually USD $85). Obviously these units are in perfect condition but have the regulator separate and do not have any of the MkII improvements.

Should you order 2 x TBI-48-4/5 units in one transaction, I will further discount the total price (excluding shipping) by 5%.

You will need to provide your full credit card details, including the CVV 3 digit number on the back (sent over 2-3 separate emails if you wish) – Mastercard or Visa only accepted, address and cell number should you wish to proceed. Once processed, I will forward a receipt.

All purchases are direct from the factory in Australia.

Look forward to receiving you order. Due to stock flying out the door, current lead time is approximately 2-3 weeks from full payment. Please note that we close on December 23, 2014 and re-open on January 5, 2015.

Should you have any further technical enquiries, please contact Technical@RotecAerosport.com - they will endeavour to respond within 2 business days.

Kind regards,
Andrea Chernikeeff
Administration

Rotec Aerosport Pty. Ltd. | ABN: 68 158 018 921 | Hangar 12, 86 Stuart Rd, Tyabb, VIC, Australia, 3913
Ph: +61 3 9587 9530 | Skype: Andrea.Chernikeeff | Email: Andrea@RotecAerosport.com
Web: www.RotecAerosport.com | Keep up to date! Like us on Facebook
Any express or implied opinions in this e-mail are only those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Rotec Aerosport Pty. Ltd. This e-mail may contain information which is confidential or subject to copyright. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, any use, disclosure or copying of this e-mail is unauthorised. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this transmission together with any attachments. E-mail is susceptible to data corruption, interception, tampering and viruses, and therefore Rotec Aerosport Pty. Ltd. does not accept liability for any such corruption, interception, tampering or viruses or any consequences thereof which arise as a result of this e-mail transmission.

¬¬-______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

From: David Jacob Heino - Expeditionary Technology [mailto:david.heino@expeditionary.com]
Sent: Thursday, 5 February 2015 5:44 AM
To: technical@rotecaerosport.com
Subject: Rotec TBI for Aerovee on Sonex Aircraft

Hello Rotec,

I have heard many good things about the Rotec TBI and am considering one for my aircraft.

I have a Sonex tri gear airplane that has an 80+ HP Aerovee 2180 cc engine. It is normally aspirated right now, but I may turbo charge it in the future which would bring the horsepower to 100.

What model Rotec TBI would I need? Can you also provide me with pricing on that model? I am in the United States.

Thank you,

Jake
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby WaiexN143NM » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:48 am

Hi Jacob,
Reference our rotec tbi set up, we bought a facet 12v pump , but have not installed it yet. We have good fuel flow by gravity , engine runs fine at wot , on the ground we see 3000 rpm static w jab 3300, and prince prop (love the prop and service from Lonnie). A few months back a posting from one builder w rotec tbi said he needed a pump for wot operation. So far in our set up we don't need it. I have not heard about rotec mark 2 tbi. Will try to research it and see what improvements have been made . We plan on picking up the rotec electronic ignition at OSH this year. One side only for coil swap out, much hotter spark at no min. Rpm. Thanks Jacob for your new post on the new mk2 . Will check it out.

Michael RADTKE
Waiex N143NM
Jabiriu3300
Rotec tbi
Dynon glass
WaiexN143NM

Postby marsolgp » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:22 pm

Hi Jake,

Just to expand a little on my previous entry….. I am using a Rotec TBI 34-2 on my Aerovee. It has been trouble free since first installed. When I installed the turbo I re-installed the Rotec TBI and it has run perfectly with no additional adjustments needed.
G. Marsolais
Waiex w/Turbo Aerovee
Rotec TBI, Sensenich Climb Prop
MGL Xtreme EFIS & EMS
A/P, iFly720 w/ADS-B
marsolgp

Postby SonexN76ET » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:14 pm

I appreciate your inputs on the Rotec TBI. It will be interesting to see how the Mk2 version works out. They claim it is now an improved version of the original Rotec TBI and the Ellison TBI.

Thanks,

Jake
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby chuckster » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:49 am

Did I read that right? The Rotec guy actually said in print the Aerocarb is impossible to set up and is downright dangerous. I guess they have different liable laws down under.
chuckster

Postby Fastcapy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:30 pm

-----
Last edited by Fastcapy on Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

PreviousNext

Return to Jabiru