Safety and training

Discussion of aircraft electrical system design, construction, and problems.

Re: Safety and training

Postby Sonerai13 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:40 am

You must hold at least a SPORT pilot certificate in order to receive training from Sonex through the T-Flight program. We cannot offer training to persons who hold only a student pilot certificate. This is due to the requirements of the FAA Letter of Deviation Authority (LODA) that allows us to use our experimental aircraft for hire. So if you hold at least a Sport Pilot certificate, you are eligible to participate.
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
User avatar
Sonerai13
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:36 pm
Location: Oshkosh, WI

Re: Safety and training

Postby radfordc » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:22 am

xymox wrote:I'll add my 2 cents. For safety sake of course.
I'm one of those guys who bought a sonex second hand. I also do not have a private pilot cert. I'm only interested in light sport. I have about 40 hours flying 152 and 172 so I do have some comfort in a small plane. I wanted to get training from sonex as I'm local to wisconsin and that would be super convenient. But their policy is to not provide training unless I have my private. Well that sucks!
Now I'm in a place where I have to get invested in more of an endeavour than what I wanted (which arguably isn't a bad thing) but I can't see what harm it would to provide training (for a fee) to anyone wanting it. I was lucky to score a ride in the sonex from the gentleman who delivered it but my current cfi won't fly expiramental! What to do? I'd prefer to get official training from the experts.....


I have found that when I had a "beef" with the Sonex folks I was better off discussing it with them first before airing it in a public forum. Usually there was a good and reasonable explanation on their part.
radfordc
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:39 am

Re: Safety and training

Postby xymox » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:10 am

understood. I don't have a beef with anyone especially the sonex crew as a seem all very capable and honest people very willing to help our community when they can and when appropriate. Also as a business owner I understand policy and regulations, but I can still complain about them haha.
xymox
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:24 pm

Re: Safety and training, Repairman Certification

Postby KurtJL » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:01 pm

This question relates to a "make" vs. "buy" decision in terms of how it impacts the ability to maintain and upgrade an ELSA.

Can a pilot buy a used Sonex, earn a LSA Repairman Certification, and then maintain, upgrade, and formally inspect the aircraft?

Any online references and links would be appreciated.

Thanks, Kurt
Kurt Lightfoot
>1000 hours, private pilot, instrument rated
Interested in Aerovee Turbo Sonex Tri-gear
KurtJL
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:20 pm

Re: Safety and training

Postby WaiexN143NM » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:15 pm

Hi kurt,
Yes, please look up Rainbow aviation, located in corning ca. They offer training courses to maintain your, or others lsa's . Different courses are avbl to meet your needs. Brian and Carol Carpenter, run these courses, outstanding people.
WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM
 
Posts: 669
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:04 am
Location: SF CA, Tucson AZ

Re: Safety and training, Repairman Certification

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:26 pm

KurtJL wrote:This question relates to a "make" vs. "buy" decision in terms of how it impacts the ability to maintain and upgrade an ELSA.

Can a pilot buy a used Sonex, earn a LSA Repairman Certification, and then maintain, upgrade, and formally inspect the aircraft?

Any online references and links would be appreciated.

Thanks, Kurt


Kurt,

The rules are different based on how the Sonex is certified. Most of the flying airplanes are E-AB which means a second owner can perform any maintenance they want, but they cannot sign off the yearly required Condition inspection. That must be done by the original builder (assuming they obtained the Repairmans Certificate for that unique tail number), or by any A&P.

There are a few Sonexes out there that are certified as E-LSA (like the Sonex the factory currently has for sale) and for those, you could take the LSA repairmans course and then perform your own Condition inspections.

Hope that helps!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
AeroVee #0631
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56
 
Posts: 1281
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:38 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Re: Safety and training

Postby WaiexN143NM » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:39 pm

Hi mike,
Thanks for clarifying and a better detailed explanation to kurt. I was only referencing SLSA/ElSA aircraft in his question.
WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM
 
Posts: 669
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:04 am
Location: SF CA, Tucson AZ

Re: Safety and training, Repairman Certification

Postby KurtJL » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:27 am

MichaelFarley56 wrote:
KurtJL wrote:This question relates to a "make" vs. "buy" decision in terms of how it impacts the ability to maintain and upgrade an ELSA.

Can a pilot buy a used Sonex, earn a LSA Repairman Certification, and then maintain, upgrade, and formally inspect the aircraft?

Any online references and links would be appreciated.

Thanks, Kurt


Kurt,

The rules are different based on how the Sonex is certified. Most of the flying airplanes are E-AB which means a second owner can perform any maintenance they want, but they cannot sign off the yearly required Condition inspection. That must be done by the original builder (assuming they obtained the Repairmans Certificate for that unique tail number), or by any A&P.

There are a few Sonexes out there that are certified as E-LSA (like the Sonex the factory currently has for sale) and for those, you could take the LSA repairmans course and then perform your own Condition inspections.

Hope that helps!


Mike, thanks for that input.

The following seems thorough and helpful http://www.sportaviationspecialties.com ... mation.htm

Regards, Kurt
Kurt Lightfoot
>1000 hours, private pilot, instrument rated
Interested in Aerovee Turbo Sonex Tri-gear
KurtJL
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:20 pm

Re: Safety and training

Postby tom0nex74 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:10 pm

I have a ticking noise coming from the magnatron side of my ignition system thru my MGL radio. It gets louder with increased RPM. Secondary ignition side is OK. Any ideas? Checked all the easy stuff to no avail. Leaning AeroVee to 1220 degrees on EGT in cruise,(3150 RPM) keeps CHT's under 300 degrees. Looking for a 0nex empennage fairing or a mold to make one. 'ole 0nex 74 just loves this cold air.
Happy new year fellow builders.....................Tom Ryan 0nex 74
tom0nex74
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:42 pm

Re: Safety and training

Postby lgsievila » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:31 pm

Sent you a PM the other day.
Loren
Onex 33
Loren Sievila
Conventional Gear Onex33
CAMit 2200
Dynon Skyview
lgsievila
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:54 am

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical System

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron