Gland Nut Removal

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Gland Nut Removal

Postby Glenn.hunt » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:33 pm

I need to pull my flywheel to re-shim my crank. I can't get the gland nut off. I think using an impact wrench is frowned upon. Can it be heated? How have others done done this?
Glenn.hunt

Re: Gland Nut Removal

Postby kmacht » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:52 pm

There is nothing wrong with using the impact for removal. That's how I always did it. You just don't want to use it for install as you can over torque easily. I think the assembly video showed an impact wrench being used for installing the prop hub bolt when you put the prop hub on the crank. I think that might be the only exception. I wouldn't use heat.

Keith
kmacht

Postby falvarez » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:38 pm

I just temporarily bolted a 2x4 onto the prop hub and made sure that was locked up against a fixed object...then I took a 1/2" breaker bar and had no problem getting the gland nut off.
Frank Alvarez
Sonex #800, Aerovee 2.1
Scratch Building (working on Cowl)
falvarez

Postby wlarson861 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:31 am

I used an impact wrench for both on and off. With the on it is important that the wrench isn't too powerful, mine was a 225 ft/lb so I had a little more to go on the install. Using the same wrench it pounded for a while then the gland nut started to move and then spun off.
Bill Larson
N861SX
Sonex, polished, tail wheel, Generation 4 Jabiru 3300
wlarson861

Postby Glenn.hunt » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:37 am

Thanks for the replies. I did read somewhere that it was not recommended to install the gland nut. Must have been because of the potential to over torque. I would think that Bill's method of sneaking up on it with the impact wrench and then finishing it off with the "home made" torque wrench would be ok. (Breaker bar with pipe) I assume it is the Locktite but that baby is on there!

Glenn N414SX
Glenn.hunt

Postby mike.smith » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:19 am

falvarez wrote:I just temporarily bolted a 2x4 onto the prop hub and made sure that was locked up against a fixed object...then I took a 1/2" breaker bar and had no problem getting the gland nut off.

That's essentially what I did. I put mine on/off 3 times during construction (different reasons).

Mike
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Return to Aerovee