oil cooler oil filter

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

oil cooler oil filter

Postby grevaly » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:23 pm

OK, Building # 1242...been on it for about 3 years and it is a combination of scratch built...parts from barnstormers and the gracious
people from Sonex. My engine is a 2.0 and it is time to put it together so that I can hang it and fit the cowl.
What I am seeking is advice on whether or not to install a remote oil canister filter and what type of oil cooling is best at this date.
I have heard that the top mount cooler for the onex will work for the sonex and if not, what will work best, or do I need
additional cooling at all(I live in Illinnois QC area). What do you guys think, How have you done yours. I would like to get it all right
the first time and still keep it simple and light. 60% done, figure this out and I'll only have 60% to go...

Mark C
Mark Conner
Sonex Std Gear Aerovee #1242
Mostly Plans Built
grevaly

Re: oil cooler oil filter

Postby radfordc » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:32 pm

If you can afford to do an oil change each 25 hours the oil filter is much less needed. I would just as soon not carry around the extra weight on the nose.
radfordc

Re: oil cooler oil filter

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:54 pm

I'm with Charlie here...just change the oil every 25 hours and don't worry about a filter. Too many stories of people having issues with them.

Also, I have the top mounted, Onex style oil cooler mounted on my Waiex. The cooler fits but it's a snug fit under the cowling. That being said however, I like that setup for ease of oil changes.
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Return to Aerovee