Gascolator?

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Re: Gascolator?

Postby Kai » Sun Sep 08, 2024 9:48 pm

Agreed- fuel spill in the cockpit is not a good thing.

But why must the drain valve be in the bottom of the tank? Can´t it be installed in the fuel feed line on the engine side of the firewall, very close to the bottom of the cowling, just so that it is readily accessible without having to take anything apart?

All the years I had to rely on a single fuel tank carburetted engine, I did it like this. No issues. But, I must confess, on my always hangared Sonex no water either.
Sonex A #0525- SG, DS.
EdgePerfomance EP915ECI, 123HP
Kai

Postby Skippydiesel » Sun Sep 08, 2024 11:29 pm

Connections/joins, electrical, hydraulic, pneumatic, should always be kept to the minimum, consistent with whatever it is you are trying to achieve.

Fact of life/engineering - Some joins can not be avoided.

I agree with Kai's solution to fuel testing the Sonex in fuselage tank - this is essentially what I have in my system.
Skippydiesel

Postby daleandee » Sun Sep 08, 2024 11:39 pm

Kai wrote:But why must the drain valve be in the bottom of the tank? Can´t it be installed in the fuel feed line on the engine side of the firewall, very close to the bottom of the cowling, just so that it is readily accessible without having to take anything apart?

That's where mine is installed ... in the bottom of my Usher Gascolator:

My gascolator has performed flawlessly using a fine screen to catch any debris that could get through the finger strainer in the tank and a bowl to detect any water in the system.

I placed a shroud over it with a cooling blast tube. Using it along with a Marvel Schebler aircraft carb I have no issues with stumbles, bumbles, burps, or hesitation. I guess I really don't understand the reluctance of some regarding the use of a gascolaor as they work extremely well for their intended purpose and have been proven reliable by decades of use in certified aircraft. I understand that every builder has the right to make their own choice but to me this one is easy, and smart.

YYMV ... but I doubt it! 8~)

Dale
3.0 Corvair/Tailwheel
daleandee

Postby Skippydiesel » Mon Sep 09, 2024 3:05 am

Hi Deleandee,

"I guess I really don't understand the reluctance of some regarding the use of a gascolaor as they work extremely well for their intended purpose and have been proven reliable by decades of use in certified aircraft"

Nothing wrong with using a gascolator, it's just for small aircraft, like Sonex, it's a tad outmoded for all the reasons I have articulated.

The moldboard plough - the standard in agricultural ground working tools, after hundreds of years of development, is still in use in some areas and will always be the tool, against which all other ground working systems are are compared BUT is no longer used in many applications ie its outmoded (I have one as a garden ornament).

For example - The one you have illustrated requires;

Complex joining/plumbing/mounting installation,
    Dismantling to assess the amount of material caught, by the relativly small area filter screen.
    Is heavy and overly complex and I have no doubt expensive.
Like the mouldboard plough, the gascolator does one thing very well - it will separate free water out of the fuel.

Check out the Baldwin BF7850 (for about US $25) https://ph.baldwinfilters.com/baldwin/e ... ers/bf7850
Skippydiesel

Postby Kai » Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:20 am

Dale,

I´m not quite sure how to read Skippy´s posting, but before you decide to go down the path he might be suggesting, I will most strongly advice against installing a plough in your fuel system. I can´t imagine it will ever separate free water out of fuel.

On the contrary, like you I have had this exact make of gascolator in my fuel system for ages. I can´t say I have ever noticed any of the mentioned issues.

Blueskies!
Sonex A #0525- SG, DS.
EdgePerfomance EP915ECI, 123HP
Kai

Postby daleandee » Mon Sep 09, 2024 10:45 am

Kai wrote:Dale,

I´m not quite sure how to read Skippy´s posting, but before you decide to go down the path he might be suggesting, I will most strongly advice against installing a plough in your fuel system. I can´t imagine it will ever separate free water out of fuel.

On the contrary, like you I have had this exact make of gascolator in my fuel system for ages. I can´t say I have ever noticed any of the mentioned issues.

Blueskies!

Hello Kai,

I was certain that my posting was, in fact, very clear that I use and highly recommend a gascolator because they work to trap debris and detect water in the system and are proven by many years of service on certified aircraft. Mine has performed its duties for twelve years without issue and I have zero plans to replace it. During my condition inspection (recently completed for this year) it only took a few monents to pull it apart, inspect the o-rings, check the screen (nothing noted) and do a fuel flow test.

I used to use those plastic/glass inline filters when I flew ultralights. I prefer a proper gascolator.

Best,

Dale
3.0 Corvair/Tailwheel
daleandee

Postby rbarber » Mon Sep 09, 2024 11:20 am

Not using a gascolator (or other fuel/water separator) only makes sense if your carb does not have a fuel bowl, like an aeroinjector or aerocarb. Any water in the system would simply be digested immediately or the engine would not start. In a fuel bowl, water could accumulate in it, and allow one to find out, well, after it freezes in flight...
rbarber

Postby daleandee » Mon Sep 09, 2024 3:10 pm

rbarber wrote:In a fuel bowl, water could accumulate in it, and allow one to find out, well, after it freezes in flight...

??? ... I've never heard of water freezing in a fuel bowl in flight. A search with my powerful AI assistant could not find any accidents/incidents where this was a cause, or contributing factor. Can you cite where this has ever happened?

TIA,

Dale
3.0 Corvair/Tailwheel
daleandee

Postby rbarber » Mon Sep 09, 2024 4:55 pm

If you think about it, there could never be any evidence, as the ice would likely melt as soon as the carb warmed up. Such a result would be the "it just quit while flying" followed by it starting just fine back on the ground. Think about it though; if water gets into the fuel bowl (no gascolator), and the fuel bowl gets cold enough to freeze water... That carb will not digest an ice cube. It could probably digest a bit of water in short spurts, but not ice.
rbarber

Postby daleandee » Mon Sep 09, 2024 5:26 pm

rbarber wrote:If you think about it, there could never be any evidence, as the ice would likely melt as soon as the carb warmed up. Such a result would be the "it just quit while flying" followed by it starting just fine back on the ground. Think about it though; if water gets into the fuel bowl (no gascolator), and the fuel bowl gets cold enough to freeze water... That carb will not digest an ice cube. It could probably digest a bit of water in short spurts, but not ice.

If it's cold enough under the cowling to freeze water in a carb attached to a running engine then any water in the metal fuel lines or filters could also freeze but that doesn't seem to be an issue either. I'll take my chances with my gascolater ...

Best,

Dale
3.0 Corvair/Tailwheel
daleandee

PreviousNext

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B