Possible new Legacy Waiex QB kit

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Possible new Legacy Waiex QB kit

Postby captnmack » Wed Aug 21, 2024 7:28 pm

Hello all,

Many of you might have seen the Legacy Waiex QB kit for sale that was owned by Dave Higdon in KS. I am researching this kit and the brand. I’ve know about Sonex’s for years but only recently have learned more. What I did learn was is the difference in a Legacy and -B model. For obvious reasons the B would be better but would the legacy serve me as an additional or sometimes alternative to my Mooney for two persons?

Lots to consider as I have not yet laid eyes on this project.

Thanks.

Mack in Texas.
captnmack

Re: Possible new Legacy Waiex QB kit

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Aug 21, 2024 7:46 pm

Welcome. Either the classic A model or the B could be fine, as long as the two people were 400 lbs or less, and you keep the empty weight low.

Not sure the B is better. It is a little heavier, which is bad. It has more fuel, but two up we generally take 12-14 gallons for weight, and 20 gallons would be right out. The canopy parts do look better I'll admit.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby daleandee » Thu Aug 22, 2024 12:17 am

captnmack wrote:I’ve know about Sonex’s for years but only recently have learned more. What I did learn was is the difference in a Legacy and -B model. For obvious reasons the B would be better but would the legacy serve me as an additional or sometimes alternative to my Mooney for two persons?

Hello Mack,

I'm a pretty odd duck so my opinions may not be worth much.

My preferences are for the model A Sonex (or "Model C" for Cleanex). To me the appearance of the A model is more striking as I find the larger cowling of the B model to make the short nose to look even more bulky than before. On a Corvair powered Sonex the cowling is strikingly different (see photo below).

The extra interior width of the B model is nice but the room at the hips & shoulders is the same in both planes. The larger panel & a bit of extra fuel is very welcomed. Yet reportedly a tailwheel A model Sonex can hold a bit over 17 gallons of fuel with the tail down (useful to be burned on climbout) and I've had mine over 16 but don't have a precise measurement for it.

At one time a builder could buy a "Todd's Canopy" for the A model (don't know if they make Sonex canopies anymore) but it had a strange look to it although it did give a bit more headroom. If you are not large (I'm 5'9" and roll around 190 lbs) then the cockpit is cozy as long as your passenger isn't large. I see you are flying a Mooney (great airplane BTW) so you are used to having a cozy cockpit. I also use (and love) a Clarity Aloft headset.

A Sonex is neutral stability so for a lot of cross-country work an auto-pilot is nice (not required). I have a Trio AP and like it a lot.

Not sure if any of this rambling helps at all ...

Dale
3.0 Corvair/Tailwheel

daleandee

Postby captnmack » Thu Aug 22, 2024 1:20 pm

Dale,

Thanks for the reply, good information. Yep, I’m 5,7 and 165 and thankfully wife under that! Still in the decision mode.

Mack
captnmack

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Aug 22, 2024 1:27 pm

captnmack wrote: I’m 5,7 and 165 and thankfully wife under that!
Mack

You are built to Monett specifications - a perfect Sonex candidate.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby builderflyer » Fri Aug 23, 2024 9:43 am

captnmack wrote:Hello all,

For obvious reasons the B would be better but would the legacy serve me as an additional or sometimes alternative to my Mooney for two persons

Mack in Texas.

I'm a bit puzzled by your question in that a Mooney was designed for a certain kind of mission and the Sonex was originally designed for something completely different. I don't consider the Sonex to be a two place version of a Mooney, not even close. How would you envision utilizing the Sonex if you were to own one? Realistically answering that question could help explain whether you're going down the correct path, or not.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby Kai » Fri Aug 23, 2024 1:54 pm

The view that the Sonex was ´designed for something completely different´, carries some merit. Back in the old days John Monett once voluntered the opinion that the Sonex was ´best suited for flight to harass the neighbours´…………..!
Sonex A #0525- SG, DS.
EdgePerfomance EP915ECI, 123HP
Kai

Postby Skippydiesel » Sat Aug 24, 2024 4:29 am

How would you envision utilizing the Sonex if you were to own one? Realistically answering that question could help explain whether you're going down the correct path, or not.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261[/quote]

I want to tour Australia in my Legacy/Rotax 912 ULS.

The big plus is high speed, economical cruise and for one POB reasonable comfort.

The questionable characteristics are:
Neutral stability - great for aerobatics, not ideal for touring as it won't stay straight & level for long, increasing pilot workload BUT I am confident I will adapt and become fairly intuitive to correcting pitch changes.
Poor weight & volume carrying capacity. Fortunately I am light weight, so with care, sufficient clothing/food/camping gear may just fit. I am still working out a safe/suitable location for my 20L x 3 collapsible fuel bladders, needed to fetch fuel from the nearest suitable petrol station.
I will never be able to take my wife (or my fantasy mistress) on an away trip - can't carry a passenger with more than 30 L fuel on board. Could this be a plus?
Skippydiesel

Return to General Discussion