Do I have a big problem here?

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Re: Do I have a big problem here?

Postby DWest » Thu Aug 15, 2024 11:44 am

Interesting where this experimental build brings me. Did some research on 6061 t0-6 ductility and understanding of the process. Perhaps a heat gun and a cold wet rag might help? I don’t know what else to do at this point other than abandon it and get a new skin but then hopefully my holes will line up if not then, I’m in even more of a mess!

How ‘structural’ are we talking here? I mean we’re putting holes in the leading edge for pitot tubes and landing lights. Perhaps that’s my next topic of research, aeronautical structural design!
DWest

Postby Area 51% » Thu Aug 15, 2024 12:58 pm

DWest wrote: I don’t know what else to do at this point other than abandon it and get a new skin but then hopefully my holes will line up if not then, I’m in even more of a mess!

I had a leading-edge skin that was de-burred, dimpled, and ready to rivet. It got badly bent by a visitor that couldn't keep control of his feet and it couldn't be saved. I got a replacement with the same worries as you. All the holes lined up with the dimples falling into place perfectly.

CNC machines to the rescue.
Area 51%

Postby DCASonex » Fri Aug 16, 2024 8:22 am

The wing skins are VERY DEFINITELY structure. do not even think about using high heat on them.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby DWest » Fri Aug 16, 2024 3:00 pm

Thanks for all the insight everyone! I’m going to stick with rule #2 of my guiding principles of don’t cut corners/do it right. New skin on order.

I guess I will start making flaps and ailerons while I wait.
DWest

Previous

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B