Overhead Console

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Highwing.

Overhead Console

Postby Eric W » Sun Aug 11, 2024 8:07 pm

I know I'm getting way too far ahead of where things are, but a neat feature of the Highwing, especially with the spar overhead anyway, is the possibility for a switch console. Kind of a little "airliner" feel, but also with the possibility that all lights would be in the wings, why run a bunch of individually switched wires from panel up to the wing. Anyway, saw this on one of the Sling (High Wing) videos:
Overhead_console.png

That cooler in that Sling is a swamp cooler (not compressor-based AC). Not saying I'd add that, but all the light switches in a row up there might be convenient.
Sonex 815, TD, dual stick (sold in 2013)
Jabiru 3300
Eric W

Re: Overhead Console

Postby Skippydiesel » Sun Aug 11, 2024 11:11 pm

In Australia, only IFR aircraft are required to have navigation/landing lights.

For VFR their installation is more for aesthetic satisfaction, than for any functional benefit.
Skippydiesel

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Aug 11, 2024 11:20 pm

Skippydiesel wrote:In Australia, only IFR aircraft are required to have navigation/landing lights.

For VFR their installation is more for aesthetic satisfaction, than for any functional benefit.

Are you guys allowed to fly VFR at night?
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Skippydiesel » Sun Aug 11, 2024 11:55 pm

[quote="Bryan Cotton"][quote="Skippydiesel"]In Australia, only IFR aircraft are required to have navigation/landing lights.

There is some night VFR but its not common, amongst recreational pilots and is conducted in aircraft meeting IFR standards (which includes lights).

Aircraft meeting IFR standards require more capable (certified) instrumentation, frequent & stringent maintenance = more cost.

Night VFR requires additional training and endorsement. Few consider it to be worthwhile. Those pilots on their way to commercial flying, will usually go straight to a Instrument Rating.

There would be very few recreational level aircraft meeting the required standard to fly in low visibility conditions.

We have plenty of VFR aircraft fitted with lights but as I say their practical use is questionable.
Skippydiesel

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Aug 12, 2024 8:06 am

It's different here. We fly a lot of night VFR. Days are short in the winter, and there are many airports with lighting. Plus, on a long XC, it's handy to be able to get back after dark.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby Scott Todd » Mon Aug 12, 2024 8:58 am

I live in the Desert Southwest and sunset flights are amazing. And in the summer, we often launch before sunup to beat the heat. I also live outside a major city so night flying is much easier than flying in the middle of nowhere. All three of my home built airplanes have lights. Even the open cockpit biplane. Its pretty easy to add them while building so I don't ever have to worry about what time it is. I always fly with strobes on also. You never know when it might catch someones eye before they hit you.
Scott Todd

Postby Eric W » Mon Aug 12, 2024 10:35 pm

My Sonex had no lights at all. I found that I would fly it sometimes before work, but even on weekends I'd fly very early in the morning for the calmer air, no traffic, and to get a flight in before everything else I needed to do had to get started. Either way, sometimes I timed legal "daytime" to be moving from the runup to taking the active at the very first legal minute. So yes, lights could have been useful. Even playing with the edge of "daytime", lights would have helped visibility of my plane a lot, as some bright flashes will get more attention than the essentially grey, partially-polished airframe. I understand up and away from the airport, an airplane can be nearly impossible to see or track lights or not, but around the airport / entering / leaving the pattern, lights can be more effective to help the other traffic find you there.

I know we're in the time of advanced fish-finders now (ADSB), so maybe lights aren't all that big of a deal other than to meet requirements to depart a little before legal "daytime" has begun or to just get a little farther at the end of the day.

There was another Sling builder who had somewhat different switch choices in his plane. He also added a "dome" or overhead cabin light, and a baggage area light in a similar overhead panel.

Given that I'm living in a desert, I'd probably skip the back window in the Highwing, so a baggage area light might have some use.
Sonex 815, TD, dual stick (sold in 2013)
Jabiru 3300
Eric W

Postby Skippydiesel » Mon Aug 12, 2024 11:43 pm

Hi Eric,

Sorry can't agree with your rationale for lights in VFR conditions. All the evidence is against you.

In the air(pilot viewer to aircraft) lights work well in low light conditions, against a contrasting background but thats about it.

From the ground they also work well - the viewer is looking up against rising terrain, blue and or cloudy sky and is often helped by the sound of the aircraft.

Ground to ground they also work well - lights on before engine start/taxi a definite safety enhancement.

The airborne human eye is very very bad at seeing other aircraft in the air - good radio communication, giving location, altitude, direction, intention, is your best bet, by far, to zeroing in on another aircraft in the air.

Not against lights - they look great but that doesn't mean they are effective (in the air)
Skippydiesel

Postby daleandee » Tue Aug 13, 2024 12:03 am

Skippydiesel wrote:The airborne human eye is very very bad at seeing other aircraft in the air - good radio communication, giving location, altitude, direction, intention, is your best bet, by far, to zeroing in on another aircraft in the air.

Not against lights - they look great but that doesn't mean they are effective (in the air)

Video evidence seems to suggest that a good set of wig-wags can make you quite visible to oncoming traffic (2:39) ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYJm2H3pqXY
daleandee

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Aug 13, 2024 12:07 am

Skippydiesel wrote:Hi Eric,

Sorry can't agree with your rationale for lights in VFR conditions. All the evidence is against you.

Skippy,
By regulation we need navigation lights from sunset to sunrise.
https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-14/c ... ion-91.209
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Next

Return to Sonex Highwing