Flaps is as flaps does

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Flaps is as flaps does

Postby Kai » Fri Aug 09, 2024 4:39 pm

I have the possibility to fly both- another guy at my home field flies an ´acro´ Sonex. Compared to my own Sonex, the acro ailerons are a tad heavier in the roll- hardly noticeable, as a matter of fact. The shorter flap is somewhat lighter to extend. The big difference is the reduction of float right after the flare- the thing is much easier to set down. I wish the acro option was available when I was building.
Sonex A #0525- SG, DS.
EdgePerfomance EP915ECI, 123HP
Kai

Postby Skippydiesel » Sat Aug 10, 2024 1:06 am

Interesting- any other difference's between with a standard Sonex??
Skippydiesel

Postby Area 51% » Sat Aug 10, 2024 6:53 am

Skippydiesel wrote:Interesting- any other difference's between with a standard Sonex??

Are you talking flight characteristics, or structure?
Area 51%

Postby N190YX » Sat Aug 10, 2024 11:11 am

Have you considered installing an electric flap actuator? Several Sonex builders have.

Note I would think this is the same for Sonex/Waiex as for my certified airplane, the first 1/3 of flap travel adds lift, the second 2/3 adds very little additional lift (1 or 2% more) just adds drag. You obtain the slower touchdown speed only using the first 1/3 of flap travel.
N190YX

Postby Area 51% » Sat Aug 10, 2024 12:07 pm

N190YX wrote:Have you considered installing an electric flap actuator? Several Sonex builders have.

If I weighed 160 instead of 230, there would be all manner of add-ons installed.

Just trying to keep the rate-of-climb positive here @Area 51%
Area 51%

Postby kmacht » Sat Aug 10, 2024 4:42 pm

Sonex at one point sold retrofit kits for the acro ailerons for existing customers. If you want them it would be worth a call to see if they still do.

Keith
kmacht

Postby Skippydiesel » Sat Aug 10, 2024 6:10 pm

Area 51% wrote:
Skippydiesel wrote:Interesting- any other difference's between with a standard Sonex??

Are you talking flight characteristics, or structure?

Flight characteristics would be my main intersted, closely followed by any changes that may be required to the standard Sonex, to fit the new flap/aileron arrangement.
Skippydiesel

Postby Area 51% » Sat Aug 10, 2024 7:12 pm

Let's say you have a flying Sonex/Waiex with the standard set-up.

The first order of business would be to shorten the flap which would require nothing more than relocating the outboard rib to it's new "aerobatic" position after removing the required amount of skin.

Second, 17+- rivets need to be removed inboard of the aileron hinge and an appropriate length of hinge installed.

Third, short aileron skins need to be sourced that will fill the gap between the existing standard aileron and the newly modified flap. The exact length will depend on how accurately you cut the flap skin. I will be using the leftover pieces of skins from the blanks that came in the kit. A rib on each end and a hinge-half attached the same as the aileron will allow it to be pinned at the top. Another hinge-half riveted to a filler strip will be needed to attach the appendage to the bottom hinge (original flap hinge which is already in place). The appendage will need to be rigged similar to the ailerons before riveting the filler strip to the bottom of the aileron-like filler.

My proof-of-concept piece seems quite happy. In a perfect world, there would be an adjustment screw to use these sections as trim tabs.
Attachments
DSCF2821.JPG
Area 51%

Postby DCASonex » Mon Aug 12, 2024 4:15 pm

N190YX wrote:Note I would think this is the same for Sonex/Waiex as for my certified airplane, the first 1/3 of flap travel adds lift, the second 2/3 adds very little additional lift (1 or 2% more) just adds drag. You obtain the slower touchdown speed only using the first 1/3 of flap travel.

But full long flaps deployed will allow crazy steep decent over trees near end of runway without gaining speed. Electric flap operator in A series, for me at least, means being able to keep seat and shoulder straps fully tightened.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby daleandee » Mon Aug 12, 2024 6:25 pm

DCASonex wrote:But full long flaps deployed will allow crazy steep decent over trees near end of runway without gaining speed.

I've heard there are Sonex pilots that don't use 30º flap because they claim it's too steep. Power idle, full flap, and a bit of slip can get you down in a hurry. 8~)

Dale
3.0 Corvair/Tailwheel
daleandee

Previous

Return to General Discussion