Onex fuel tank removal

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Onex fuel tank removal

Postby Rotodyne » Mon Jul 29, 2024 2:52 pm

Hi all,

I have a leak from the fuel tank. It's an early tank (ONX069) and doesn't have Oops fittings. Looks like it would be a real pain to work on in situ, is it possible to remove the tank without removing the windshield and glare shield?

Thanks,
Wayne
Rotodyne

Re: Onex fuel tank removal

Postby XenosN42 » Mon Jul 29, 2024 5:46 pm

It might be possible. I built and own an OneX. If I had to remove the tank I’d remove the wind shield and glare shield first. It will add some work up front (2 hours to 4 perhaps) but it will save you a lot of hassle as you work on the tank. Just my 2 cents.
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby 13brv3 » Mon Jul 29, 2024 7:37 pm

I'm pretty much with Michael here. If the leak is at the fittings that are on the bottom rear of the tank then it's probably possible, but it won't be fun, particularly if you're not young and limber. I used to work on lots of things under dashes of cars, but I just don't contort that way anymore. Of course if you do pull the tank, you can take that opportunity to replace all of the fittings, and give the tank a good cleaning and inspection.
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (145 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Postby DCASonex » Wed Jul 31, 2024 8:39 am

About 5 years ago, Wes Rangle used the opps fitting tool kit to install fittings on his Onex tank. His writeup and photos are packed with that kit if wanting it. He did have the tank removed from the plane while doing that. Kit is here, ready to ship out, but I do know someone else who wants it in a few weeks from now. If you want it, contact me by Private Message on this forum with shipping address and your direct email so I can attach instruction sheets.
David A.
DCASonex

Postby Rotodyne » Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:30 am

Thanks for the suggestions, looks like I'll be removing the wind shield and glare shield.
Rotodyne

Return to Onex