Matco brakes

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Matco brakes

Postby Rofomoto » Mon Jul 08, 2024 10:07 am

They sell two size brake lines ( plastic)… 1/4” and 1/8”… what does everyone use?
Longassproject
E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles (next year 16- 0)
Rofomoto

Re: Matco brakes

Postby GordonTurner » Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:32 pm

As far as braking it won’t make any difference. For bleeding, I’m sure it matters but don’t know the best answer. Brakes get hot, if you use them much they get really really hot. I wouldn’t run the nylon lines all the way to the brake unit. 1/4” line would make it pretty easy to have at least a foot or so of aluminum line at the brake before transitioning to nylon. I’m sure plenty of small planes just run nylon all the way and get away with it. When it leaks, 5606 is flammable on those hot brakes.
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby BRS » Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:03 pm

I have MATCO wheels/brakes as well. I went with the smaller tubing. It is rated at a higher pressure, does not seem to restrict flow or brake response at all, is a bit more flexible. My gut feeling is that it's also easier to bleed.

I also have MATCO hand brake which I have always felt like it wouldn't bleed (trapped air) due to the bleeder location on the side not the top. I just recieved in the mail another brake handle from BlackMax which I'm going to give a try.
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby Rofomoto » Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:10 am

BRS wrote:I have MATCO wheels/brakes as well. I went with the smaller tubing. It is rated at a higher pressure, does not seem to restrict flow or brake response at all, is a bit more flexible. My gut feeling is that it's also easier to bleed.

I also have MATCO hand brake which I have always felt like it wouldn't bleed (trapped air) due to the bleeder location on the side not the top. I just recieved in the mail another brake handle from BlackMax which I'm going to give a try.

Sounds like I have the same set up … matco hand brake… Did you get the line from Mat also? … it states it’s nylon …
Longassproject
E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles (next year 16- 0)
Rofomoto

Postby BRS » Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:41 am

Rofomoto wrote:
BRS wrote:I have MATCO wheels/brakes as we...I'm going to give a try.

Sounds like I have the same set up … matco hand brake… Did you get the line from Matco also? … it states it’s nylon …

Yes I believe so.
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Return to Sonex