ELT...

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

ELT...

Postby dboeshaar » Sat Jul 06, 2024 8:22 pm

Can I use a 121.5 ELT in my Sonex two place project?

Dkb
==============================================================
David Boeshaar
KWHP
TDAIRCRAFT.COM
My Greatest Fear: What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
==============================================================
dboeshaar

Re: ELT...

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Jul 06, 2024 9:41 pm

Nope. You are not grandfathered in. A hangar neighbor gave me his old ELT but I didn't get my airworthiness until after the rule change.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby daleandee » Sat Jul 06, 2024 10:19 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:Nope. You are not grandfathered in. A hangar neighbor gave me his old ELT but I didn't get my airworthiness until after the rule change.

Bryan,

I know that the manufacture, sale, and certification of the older units has been stopped as of February 2019 but I cannot find any reference to prove that if you have an older unit that it cannot be used. I'm not trying be argumentative as I truly would like a clear reference on this. If you (or anyone else) can point to a link or reference I would appreciate seeing it. I did find this:

https://www.federalregister.gov/documen ... rvice#p-34

In this document, the Federal Communications Commission (Commission or FCC) adopts a rule that prohibits the certification, and after a six-month transition period, the manufacture, importation, or sale of 121.5 MHz Emergency Locator Transmitters (ELTs), but declines to prohibit the use of 121.5 MHz ELTs.

but I don't see where it prohibits the use of the older ELT if it was already purchased. Now getting it past the DAR might be another story all together and for the purpose of an ELT the newer ones are worth the money. The increased cost of a new ELT over an older one is small money in the total cost of an aircraft build ...

Dale
3.0 Corvair/Tailwheel
daleandee

Postby GordonTurner » Sat Jul 06, 2024 10:39 pm

(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (e) and (f) of this section, no person may operate a U.S.-registered civil airplane unless—

(1) There is attached to the airplane an approved automatic type emergency locator transmitter that is in operable condition for the following operations, except that after June 21, 1995, an emergency locator transmitter that meets the requirements of TSO-C91 may not be used for new installations:

(i) Those operations governed by the supplemental air carrier and commercial operator rules of parts 121 and 125;

(ii) Charter flights governed by the domestic and flag air carrier rules of part 121 of this chapter; and

(iii) Operations governed by part 135 of this chapter; or

(2) For operations other than those specified in paragraph (a)(1) of this section, there must be attached to the airplane an approved personal type or an approved automatic type emergency locator transmitter that is in operable condition, except that after June 21, 1995, an emergency locator transmitter that meets the requirements of TSO-C91 may not be used for new installations.
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby daleandee » Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:08 am

GordonTurner wrote:(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (e) and (f) of this section, no person may operate a U.S.-registered civil airplane unless—

(1) There is attached to the airplane an approved automatic type emergency locator transmitter that is in operable condition for the following operations, except that after June 21, 1995, an emergency locator transmitter that meets the requirements of TSO-C91 may not be used for new installations:

(i) Those operations governed by the supplemental air carrier and commercial operator rules of parts 121 and 125;

(ii) Charter flights governed by the domestic and flag air carrier rules of part 121 of this chapter; and

(iii) Operations governed by part 135 of this chapter; or

(2) For operations other than those specified in paragraph (a)(1) of this section, there must be attached to the airplane an approved personal type or an approved automatic type emergency locator transmitter that is in operable condition, except that after June 21, 1995, an emergency locator transmitter that meets the requirements of TSO-C91 may not be used for new installations.

You're citing the difference between an older ELT without the remote and those with one. I trust that his unit was manufactured after 1995.

As I understand it from my assistant: "For new installations in homebuilt aircraft, a 121.5 MHz ELT with a remote control (TSO C91a) can be installed. However, earlier 121.5 MHz ELTs (TSO C91) are not allowed for new installations."

Dale
3.0 Corvair/Tailwheel
daleandee

Postby Scott Todd » Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:43 am

But quotes are kind of pointless unless you put the reference origin in them. Paragraphs (e) and (f) should also be included if quoting. Sometimes they mean all the difference in the world to us experi(mentals).
Scott Todd

Return to General Discussion