Elevator control rod

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Elevator control rod

Postby Triggerfish » Fri Jul 05, 2024 6:43 pm

Picked up a partially built Onex and am trying to figure things out. This is an older kit 121. It has 2 pieces that make up the elevator control rod, but I can not find anywhere on the plans as to how to connect them. I assume there is a sleeve either inner or outer which slides in or over the junction and it is glued and bolted.

Any help is appreciated

GeorgeM
Triggerfish

Re: Elevator control rod

Postby WesRagle » Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:09 pm

Hi George,

Triggerfish wrote:Picked up a partially built Onex and am trying to figure things out. This is an older kit 121. It has 2 pieces that make up the elevator control rod, but I can not find anywhere on the plans as to how to connect them. I assume there is a sleeve either inner or outer which slides in or over the junction and it is glued and bolted.

Any help is appreciated

GeorgeM

I'm looking at Onex #89 plans.

The two pieces you are you are looking at are C03-05 and C03-07, yes?

C05-07 is shown assembled to C02-04.

C03-05 is attached to the control column. It's not very explicit but Ref. C-01 View C-C top note. That's where one end of C03-05 connects. The other end goes to the idler (ref. C01 Detail F). C02-04 is shown in that detail as well and runs aft to the elevator horn (ref. C01 Detail G).

Hope that Helps,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby Triggerfish » Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:39 am

Hi Wes
Thanks for getting back to me. I do understand what you described, however , I guess I was not clear enough.
If I look at c03-07 the drawing shows the elevator control rod as one piece being 78.944 inches long. My problem is that I have 2 pieces about 39.5 inches long. So I'm assuming they need to be connected together. My question is how? I can glue a sleeve over them and also thru bolt each piece with an an-3 or I can put the sleeve inside and do the same.. I can't find any info on the drawings.

GeorgeM
Triggerfish

Postby XenosN42 » Sat Jul 06, 2024 12:01 pm

Triggerfish wrote:Hi Wes
Thanks for getting back to me. I do understand what you described, however , I guess I was not clear enough.
If I look at c03-07 the drawing shows the elevator control rod as one piece being 78.944 inches long. My problem is that I have 2 pieces about 39.5 inches long. So I'm assuming they need to be connected together. My question is how? I can glue a sleeve over them and also thru bolt each piece with an an-3 or I can put the sleeve inside and do the same.. I can't find any info on the drawings.

GeorgeM

Part ONX-C03-07 is an airframe kit component part and it is indeed 78.944" long. It isn't shipped in two pieces. Is it possible that you are looking at the two aileron push rods (ONX-C03-09)??

Each of the parts should have a label giving the correct part number. Hopefully, the previous builder didn't remove them.

To answer your question directly: NO you cannot join two random pieces together with a sleeve or any other method to create ONX-C03-07! If it is missing from the kit you'll need to order another from Sonex.
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby Triggerfish » Sat Jul 06, 2024 12:13 pm

Michael
Thanks for the information. I guess I'll check with Sonex.

GeorgeM
Triggerfish

Postby WesRagle » Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:02 am

Hey George,

One thing you should do while getting the kit sorted is to check out the drawing revisions on the Sonex web site.

Ref. https://www.sonexaircraft.com/drawing-revisions/

There will be a lot of revisions for earlier kits, so check each page as you go. Most pertinent to this discussion, there was a revision concerning elevator travel. Just be sure when you get to that point of the build to get all the up travel you can.

Best of Luck,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Return to Onex