Sonex-A purchase - What to look for

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Re: Sonex-A purchase - What to look for

Postby kmacht » Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:07 pm

bvolcko38 wrote:As I see it, the elephant in the room is Chinese parts made of Chinese materials.

I don't believe that the EMPI heads being manufactured in China is the cause of burnt exhaust valves on an aerovee but if you want US made heads just give MOFOCO a call. They will send you a set of US cast and manufactured heads that work with the aerovee including having them machined for the proper CC's, 92mm bore and using stainless intake and exhaust valves. They will even cut the second set of spark plug holes in each head for $100. These are the same heads that Sonex used to sell years ago before switching to EMPI. Two new 042 heads setup for an aerovee with dual plugs from MOFOCO is still cheaper than buying the Chinese manufactured EMPI heads from Sonex with their markup. The only downslide to the 042 heads is that the web between the valve seats is small and tends to develop a non critical crack over time. You could also buy the 040 or 041 heads setup for an aerovee with slightly smaller valves for less money if that is a worry for you.

Keith
kmacht

Postby pappas » Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:08 pm

I was glad to replace the original MOFOCO heads supplied by Sonex with the EMPI's. The EMPI's casting was noticeably more dense than the MOFOCO's. I realized that when I drilled and tapped an oil separator return line into the back of the head. Much better bite for the fitting.
I believe the valves have a better seating surface with the EMPI's.
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A Flying (2024)
Waiex B Turbo (2016)
RV-8 (2009)
Waiex Legacy 3300 (2007)
Hiperlight SNS-9 (1991)
Falcon Ultralight (1989)
pappas

Postby Area 51% » Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:13 pm

CB Performance is my go-to head store. The heads are cast by Autolinea who also manufactures the cases and have an extra cooling fin. Nine versus the 8 on a stock head.
They do, however, need to be sent elsewhere for the extra spark plug holes. DO NOT tell CB Performance they are for an airplane. They will not sell you the heads.
Area 51%

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:38 pm

Area 51% wrote:CB Performance is my go-to head store. The heads are cast by Autolinea who also manufactures the cases and have an extra cooling fin. Nine versus the 8 on a stock head.
They do, however, need to be sent elsewhere for the extra spark plug holes. DO NOT tell CB Performance they are for an airplane. They will not sell you the heads.

Which ones? There seem to be many options.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Kai » Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:11 am

Hambone wrote:The further I go down this rabbit hole, the more I realize that buying an airplane with an AeroVee was a foolish and ill-conceived move on my part. Sonex advice is that if you don’t have the requisite ability or desire to build one of their airplanes, perhaps you shouldn’t own one, either. I get that now.

I´m about to get a bad conscience here- I surely hope you don`t feel the pletoria of comments on these pages have contributed to mask the essence og VW-1 ownership in a Sonex.

I think Dale & Dee are hitting the nail on the head with their posting. Now, before you do anything rash like spending the rest of your life in a monastry or something, think of all the options you have: educate yourself and get the VW back to life, or educate yourself and install a different brand. That´s for the engine side. Then there is the airframe: since it is your behind on the line up there, get yourself educated and learn about upgrades, service, repair, and maintenance.

Addendum:
There are two major sources of knowledge here: one of them is Sonex. At least do a builders course at their premises- I did it in 2004 (dear me, 20 years ago!) and learn the rock bottom basics of airframe building, sheet metal forming, and blind riveting. There is nothing difficuilt about this, and pester those guys with questions: they are more than willing to answer. The other one is local EAA chapters. Become a member and start going to their meetings. People will be eager to help in any way possible: nothing beats working on other people´s engines!

My two bits

Bryan Cotton informs Sonex does not offer their builders course any more. See below. I should have checked-sorry!

Kai
Last edited by Kai on Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kai

Postby WesRagle » Fri Jun 21, 2024 3:11 am

Hey Hambone (If that is your real name ;-)

Hambone wrote:The further I go down this rabbit hole, the more I realize that buying an airplane with an AeroVee was a foolish and ill-conceived move on my part. Sonex advice is that if you don’t have the requisite ability or desire to build one of their airplanes, perhaps you shouldn’t own one, either. I get that now.

Listen to Kai. You just learned a lesson that you would have to learn, to one degree or another, regardless of which experimental airplane you bought. That is, when it comes to experimental aircraft, you can't buy the dream, you have to live the dream. A rather abrupt lesson in your case but don't let it get you down.

So, before you waste too much time with self loathing, go back to your previous attitude:
Well, I’m now on a quest to build up the AeroVee to be as reliable as possible.

Dig in. Before you know it you will be back in the air.

All the Best,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby Area 51% » Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:49 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:Which ones? There seem to be many options.

The 044. Not the Panchito (or whatever it's called). I also sprung for the titanium retainers. No good reason other than they are a couple of ounces lighter. .
Area 51%

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:13 am

Kai wrote:There are two major sources of knowledge here: one of them is Sonex. At least do a builders course at their premises- I did it in 2004 (dear me, 20 years ago!) and learn the rock bottom basics of airframe building, sheet metal forming, and blind riveting.

It's not been offered for years.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby bvolcko38 » Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:57 am

At our low rpm 3000 +/-, why do we need dual ports and bigger valves. This is for high rpm power, no?
Bill Volcko XNS0068
Xenos A N68WV 99% flush rivets
Aerovee and Prince P-Tip
MGL Discovery Lite w/ Sandia STX 165R
V6
First hole 4/1/16
First flight 8/24/18
Phase I complete...finally!!!
Also flying a Challenger II since 1999
bvolcko38

Postby Kai » Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:50 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:It's not been offered for years.

My bad! I´ll edit accordingly.

Thanks
Kai
Kai

PreviousNext

Return to Safety and Training