Baggage area DIY

Discuss painting, polishing, or painting vs polishing.

Re: Baggage area DIY

Postby Skippydiesel » Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:45 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:
Skippydiesel wrote:Dont be shy. Someone must have looked at the wasted space, below the seat & come up with a plan to use it

Air is a light thing you can carry in that space. I have been very happy with my 10" deep baggage area. Besides having space for the things we need to carry, you can actually reach things when flying. We are weight limited so extra baggage space does not make any sense to me.

Thanks Bryan,

This is not so much about weight as available stowage/space - very poor in the Sonex Legacy.

"We are weight limited" - Yes! A big disappointment. If I had know how low the MTOW v Empty Weight is, I probably would not have purchased my Sonex - my fault - probably the only specification I did not thoroughly research.

As the builder, I can specify a higher MTOW but am reluctant to do so without Sonex approval. Most aircraft with wing tanks (as mine has) have a higher MTOW than their fuselage tank only peers. I put this to Sonex but was rebuffed.

When flying single pilot (100%) there is very little usable space for additional items. My plan is to have infrequent use "stuff" at the same load point as the crew (me). The baggage area aft, will the be freed up for trip supplies (as in camping). The right side footwell will be adapted to carry my 2 x 20L collapsible fuel bladders, needed to fetch ULP from off airfield petrol stations. The right seat will accommodate my infligh & navigation needs (maps/emergency radios/drink/etc)

Dont get me wrong, I like my Sonex but is not quite the touring platform I had hoped for.
Skippydiesel

Postby DCASonex » Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:42 am

Weight limit is a good incentive to keep my mitts out of the cookie jar. For baggage area I filled in the lower half of the baggage area's rear bulkhead with two pieces of 0.016" aluminum and made a box cover over the elevator rod. Can toss quite a bit back there. Looked at storing some basic tools under the seat, but found packing them behind the seat (standard seat, not lowered) much more practical. Fortunately wife was relatively light and we were able to use it for traveling. (even with her baggage)

David A.
DCASonex

Postby Skippydiesel » Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:18 pm

DCASonex wrote:Weight limit is a good incentive to keep my mitts out of the cookie jar. For baggage area I filled in the lower half of the baggage area's rear bulkhead with two pieces of 0.016" aluminum and made a box cover over the elevator rod. Can toss quite a bit back there. Looked at storing some basic tools under the seat, but found packing them behind the seat (standard seat, not lowered) much more practical. Fortunately wife was relatively light and we were able to use it for traveling. (even with her baggage)

David A.

That's great information David

How do you gain access to the under/back of seat?

I am planning on getting access through two small hatches, either side of the seat base.

I did think of behind seat as an alternativ. I have a luggage "bag" similar to the other people on this thread, that prevents access from that direction, so again access would have to be two small hatches in seat back.

Any thoughts on the pros/cons of under v back of seat???
Skippydiesel

Postby DCASonex » Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:19 pm

With the standard seat in an A model, there is a pocket about 3" wide behind the whole width of the seat. Just reach down behind the seat. I find this holds a small tool pack, headset bags, spare quart of oil and other misc. bits.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby Skippydiesel » Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:41 pm

DCASonex wrote:With the standard seat in an A model, there is a pocket about 3" wide behind the whole width of the seat. Just reach down behind the seat. I find this holds a small tool pack, headset bags, spare quart of oil and other misc. bits.

David A.

Hi David,

In my aircraft, I can not reach down behind the seat as my baggage "bag" prevents such access. Check out the proceeding photos, much the same set up as I have (I would sent a pic of mine but this Forum seems hostile to non US photos).

I will look again at my under/behind seat options and decide which is likly to be the most useful and make my modifications accordingly.

Thanks for your input
Skippydiesel

Previous

Return to Finish methods