I Hate Lead

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

I Hate Lead

Postby lakespookie » Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:31 pm

A tale of pain and broken drill bits,

Drilling the Aileron Counterweights has been the most painful experience in this build so far, If anyone has any tips i would appreciate it at this point i have ruined about 200 dollars in tools between reamers and drill bits and the pain of extracting broken bits.
Saturday's Building Live Stream
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete
Wings Closed Out = 02/04/2024

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
Engine Spyder 120 corvair conversion
lakespookie

Re: I Hate Lead

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:53 pm

Don't pilot drill holes. Go right to final size.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Mike53 » Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:36 pm

Cut it on a table saw very slowly. I used an 80 tooth blade. Pics here.http://www.onexmike.org/ailerons-and-flaps.html For the drilled holes see the same page.
I used the aileron arms as my drill guide .Drill very slow and keep withdrawing the bit to clean out the shavings. Only go half way then come in from the other side .
after first hole complete bolt it and start second hole same way . I cant stress the slow speed and keeping the shavings constantly cleaned out .
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Postby flyguy0609 » Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:19 pm

Yea Lead can be messy.

Slow speed on the drill.

Speed makes heat. Heat is the enemy, The tip of the drill generates most of the heat. The heat goes into the drill bit and the lead. Lead becomes highly ductile at relatively low temperature causing the lead turn from something like a rock into Play-Doh. Then, as it is being removed from the hole by the spirals, the lead cools and turns back int the rock. At which point, sooner or later, everything comes to a stop. The higher the spindle speeds, the sooner the stop.

After slowing down the drill, Peck at it..i.e. drill a bit, withdraw and drill a bit more...Like in the titanium drilling video.

Doesn't hurt to use some coolant. It improves tool life. Personally, I'm not sure the cost-benefit would pass.

In the event you choose to further explore this rabbit hole,

Check the same question here..https://www.practicalmachinist.com/foru ... lead.86848
flyguy0609

Postby lakespookie » Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:25 pm

Thanks for the tips low speed bandsaw worked for cutting it to size, but the drilling has been a killer will try starting at a bigger size plans say pilot drill and step ream but yeah that has not gone well lol.
Saturday's Building Live Stream
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete
Wings Closed Out = 02/04/2024

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
Engine Spyder 120 corvair conversion
lakespookie

Postby flyguy0609 » Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:04 pm

Well, as a last resort, one can always make a casting mold, melt and cast.
flyguy0609

Postby mike.smith » Sat Jun 22, 2024 4:35 pm

I also tried to drill pilots first, and when that didn't work because the drill bits broke,I went straight to the final size and that worked. You can check out my entries in my kit log site, to see if I had any other information in there.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B