Logbook best practices

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Logbook best practices

Postby gregsonex » Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:20 pm

Do most folks have a separate logbook for airframe, engine and propeller? Seems like 14 CFR part 91 from the FAA mentions the requirement for maintenance records to be kept in the aircraft logbook but nothing specific beyond that. Do people recommend the aircraft, propeller, and engine logbooks from aircraft spruce?
gregsonex

Re: Logbook best practices

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:08 pm

I log prop info in my engine logbook. DAR said it was ok. Not much to log for a fixed pitch wood prop.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby daleandee » Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:56 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:I log prop info in my engine logbook. DAR said it was ok. Not much to log for a fixed pitch wood prop.

I have three for airframe, engine, and prop. True about not much to log with a FP prop but I do log inspections, torque checks, as well as hub and spinner inspections and maintenance.

If I decide to go with another Sensenich (a bit more pitch could be in order under MOSAIC) or a Prince prop (or any other brand for that matter) I will have a log to go with the Sensenich.

Logbooks are cheap enough ...

Dale
3.0 Corvair/Tailwheel
daleandee

Postby BRS » Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:17 pm

My sportsman has three logbooks for very good reasons. The prop and engine are major ($$$$) parts. They both have a very long life and can be rebuilt. They chance of them finding their way, one day, to another airframe are quite high. Or.... If I were to destroy the prop from a gound strike, or the engine were to self detonate, then to make the airframe airworthy again a new prop or engine would have to be installed. In this case I would no longer care about the old record of a prop or engine no longer on the airframe.

Now, on a sonex with an engine of a cost less than 10K and a fixed pitch prop of not a great value after being damaged having separate logbooks is not as big a deal. In the case of a Lycoming the logbook adds a considerable part of the value of the engine. But for a VW, you are probably going to rebuild it anyway.

my 2cents.
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby mike.smith » Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:22 pm

I have 3: engine, airframe, propeller. Note that each entry should be signed by the person authorized to sign. If you built it, and have the repairman's certificate, it is most likely you. I had a prop strike once, and was called into the FSDO office because it was at a towered airport and the tower reported it (even though it's not a reportable incident). When they looked at my log books and my condition inspection checklists, they were impressed that I signed all my entries; they said they don't see that often enough in builders' log books. They gave me a pat on the back and I was on my way. Good logs are priceless.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Return to General Discussion