Cross-Country Tool and Supply Kit

Tell about and show off the best photos from your cross country trips

Cross-Country Tool and Supply Kit

Postby Hambone » Fri May 17, 2024 10:51 pm

As I’ve posted elsewhere, I’m planning on picking up my new Sonex in Pennsylvania at the end of the month, and flying it in the local area for training, and to iron out any potential maintenance issues before starting the long trip back to California.

To that end, I’m putting together a tools and supplies kit. With weight being an issue, I’m trying to keep it lightweight and minimal, but with adequate provisions for everyday procedures, as well as dealing with minor enroute issues.

Here’s what I’ve got so far:

Oil & funnel
Declin
Safety wire & safety wire pliers
Torque wrench & appropriate sockets
Tire pressure gauge & pump
Spare tube & wheel-changing tools
Tiedowns
Canopy cover
Control stick lock
Chocks
Multi-tool
Flashing & batteries
Battery trickle charger

That’s for starters. Please feel free to add what you consider to be essential provisions. Thanks in anticipation!
Hambone

Re: Cross-Country Tool and Supply Kit

Postby BRS » Sat May 18, 2024 9:36 am

Saftey wire pliers are nice to have in the shop but for field repair the multitool will do the job.

a Spring torque wrench and sockets are heavy. Try to figure out what sizes you need and see if you can't get away with a 1/4" driver. There are some great little adapters that take little space, example (https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-drive-59-59-ft-lb-digital-torque-adapter-58705.html).

While the multi tool has a screw driver I'd for sure pack a dedicated small driver and some bits. I have one of these http://www.amazon.com/dp/B09T9SLHH8 (stainless version) and was useing it yesterday and marveling at how well it worked.

tie-wraps,

Cell phone charger pack for phone and or iPad. If you have the space and load, get one large enough to jump the plane.

sunscreen

Duct tape

Hand held radio
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat May 18, 2024 10:50 am

We keep one of these in the back of our A model Waiex:
https://www.harborfreight.com/solid-non ... 65565.html

Weighs little. We put it on the windshield when putting in Decalin & fuel. When you get a fuel splash it protects the windscreen.

I'd disagree with bringing something to jump the plane. I think if you need a jump it's time to stop, put it on charge, and figure out what is wrong. Plus not sure how you jump it, get the cowl on, then fly away. My electrical system has been pretty reliable, however I did have one voltage regulator fail. Then I had a couple of bad ones. The genuine John Deere one as I posted in the other thread is the way to go. Consider upgrading at some point!

Bring some clean rags (we use old socks) to clean the canopy, if required. Water will do if you need to get bug guts off. For regular cleaning I use Camco 210 cleaner:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AWRFAHY

I used to use Plexus but it has gotten really expensive and I like the Camco stuff better.

Regarding the trickle charger - what kind of battery do you have? If it is an EarthX, make sure you have the recommended charger. Charging an EarthX with a lead-acid charger/maintainer is a bad idea. The avionics guys put one on my airplane when doing the transponder check and I got a battery fail light immediately. So if EarthX get an Optimate charger:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AHG7O74
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Hambone » Sat May 18, 2024 11:45 am

BRS wrote:Saftey wire pliers are nice to have in the shop but for field repair the multitool will do the job.

a Spring torque wrench and sockets are heavy. Try to figure out what sizes you need and see if you can't get away with a 1/4" driver. There are some great little adapters that take little space, example (https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-drive-59-59-ft-lb-digital-torque-adapter-58705.html).

While the multi tool has a screw driver I'd for sure pack a dedicated small driver and some bits. I have one of these http://www.amazon.com/dp/B09T9SLHH8 (stainless version) and was useing it yesterday and marveling at how well it worked.

tie-wraps,

Cell phone charger pack for phone and or iPad. If you have the space and load, get one large enough to jump the plane.

sunscreen

Duct tape

Hand held radio

Thanks, Brock. Yes, duct tape is always a requirement!

That Amazon screwdriver looks interesting, but seems expensive for what it is.

I hadn't planned on carrying a handheld radio, but that is certainly a consideration.
Last edited by Hambone on Sat May 18, 2024 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hambone

Postby Hambone » Sat May 18, 2024 11:48 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:We keep one of these in the back of our A model Waiex:
https://www.harborfreight.com/solid-non ... 65565.html

Weighs little. We put it on the windshield when putting in Decalin & fuel. When you get a fuel splash it protects the windscreen.

I'd disagree with bringing something to jump the plane. I think if you need a jump it's time to stop, put it on charge, and figure out what is wrong. Plus not sure how you jump it, get the cowl on, then fly away. My electrical system has been pretty reliable, however I did have one voltage regulator fail. Then I had a couple of bad ones. The genuine John Deere one as I posted in the other thread is the way to go. Consider upgrading at some point!

Bring some clean rags (we use old socks) to clean the canopy, if required. Water will do if you need to get bug guts off. For regular cleaning I use Camco 210 cleaner:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AWRFAHY

I used to use Plexus but it has gotten really expensive and I like the Camco stuff better.

Regarding the trickle charger - what kind of battery do you have? If it is an EarthX, make sure you have the recommended charger. Charging an EarthX with a lead-acid charger/maintainer is a bad idea. The avionics guys put one on my airplane when doing the transponder check and I got a battery fail light immediately. So if EarthX get an Optimate charger:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AHG7O74

Thanks, Bryan. Using the drawer liner as a splash guard is a great idea! I have been warned about getting fuel or Decalin on the canopy.

The plane doesn't have a storage area behind the seats, but that is one mod I'd like to add when I get her home.
Hambone

Postby builderflyer » Sat May 18, 2024 12:15 pm

Not a tool, and I believe someone else may have mentioned it, a list of other Sonex owners and contact info for those based anywhere near your planned route. Not that others wouldn't help you as well, if needed, but the specialized kinda help another Sonex owner could bring to your possible dilemma shouldn't be overlooked.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat May 18, 2024 12:19 pm

Hambone wrote:
The plane doesn't have a storage area behind the seats, but that is one mod I'd like to add when I get her home.

What color?
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby Hambone » Sat May 18, 2024 12:20 pm

builderflyer wrote:Not a tool, and I believe someone else may have mentioned it, a list of other Sonex owners and contact info for those based anywhere near your planned route. Not that others wouldn't help you as well, if needed, but the specialized kinda help another Sonex owner could bring to your possible dilemma shouldn't be overlooked.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261

That's a great idea, Art. Thanks!
Hambone

Postby Hambone » Sat May 18, 2024 12:23 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:
Hambone wrote:

What color?

I have seen a few aluminum box-type storage systems, which look nice, but I was thinking a simpler zipper-bag suspended to not move around and to stay well clear of the elevator pushrod would do the job. That's what I had in my SkyRanger.
Hambone

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat May 18, 2024 2:27 pm

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7180

I have the pattern. Weighs almost nothing. Weight is the enemy. The downside? No good for hauling bags of cement.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Next

Return to Trip reports