Brake line configuration

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Brake line configuration

Postby wingnut99 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:56 pm

I'm beginning to question whether I have the brake lines from the calipers to the master cylinder installed correctly. I installed the parking brake valve to the top port and plugged the lower port then ran the line from there to the firewall where I installed a T and ran both lines to their calipers. I initially filled the master cylinder with fluid until it ran out of each bleeder and tried the brakes. As I expected that didn't work so I used a bottom fill system to pump fluid from the bleeders to the master cylinder starting at the furthest wheel and filled the lines until the reservoir overflowed from each side. I still don't seem to have any brakes. Anybody else had this problem or did I misinterpret the instructions?
wingnut99

Re: Brake line configuration

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:03 pm

My Aerobrakes have two lines from the master, one to each wheel. Much like any brake system, if there are any leaks they won't bleed. I found we didn't have the plastic fittings tight enough and had to sock them down some more. For somebody who has only worked with metal brake plumbing that seemed really odd, hard to calibrate yourself. Eventually we got ours tightened up, bled, and they have been good.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Area 51% » Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:53 pm

Try the brakes with the fill plug loose/removed. There is no vent on the master cylinder if it's the one from Sonex. There needs to be.
I had crappy brakes till I installed a reservoir.
Area 51%

Postby wingnut99 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:31 pm

I followed the good advice and sprayed soapy water on the fittings and sure enough the T fitting was foaming around the connections. I think I had just snugged them enough to hold them intact in case I needed to remove them for some reason. they are snug now and I think they are working. Probably will need to untether it and see if they hold with the Jabiru revved up but they at least are offering resistance when I rock it back and forth. Thanks for the help. Pat Murry, One Week Wonder Volunteer.
wingnut99

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B