Sonex B Empty Weight

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Sonex B Empty Weight

Postby pfhoeycfi » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:43 am

I am preparing to do my Sonex B (w Turbo Aerovee) weight and balance and would like to know the empty weights that other Sonex B & Waiex B builders came up with. Perhaps include model (W or S), engine type (Turbo Aerovee, Jab or Rotax, etc) & options if any (ie paint, bigger tires, wing & lndg lights etc). I'll be curious to see where my Sonex B weight will land in the mix.

Thanks,

Peter
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Re: Sonex B Empty Weight

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:12 am

Peter,
Check out this thread. Has a bunch of weight data from the old yahoo group, in both .pdf and Google sheets format. Also has a tab with data after yahoo groups went away.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2933
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby pfhoeycfi » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:58 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:Peter,
Check out this thread. Has a bunch of weight data from the old yahoo group, in both .pdf and Google sheets format. Also has a tab with data after yahoo groups went away.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2933

...good info. It will be interesting to see where B models are weighing in at.

Thanks!

Peter
Peter Hoey
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
pfhoeycfi

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:12 pm

If you do a search on empty weight, and constrain the user to Joe Norris, he had a statement about the B models being a few lbs heavier than the A models.

Edit:
Sonerai13 wrote:Most Sonex that I look at are around 670 lbs empty, give or take a few pounds. The B model might be a few pounds heavier.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby pfhoeycfi » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:39 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:If you do a search on empty weight, and constrain the user to Joe Norris, he had a statement about the B models being a few lbs heavier than the A models.

Edit:
Sonerai13 wrote:Most Sonex that I look at are around 670 lbs empty, give or take a few pounds. The B model might be a few pounds heavier.

ok great, I see that now...a number to hope for.

thanks...

peter
Peter Hoey
pfhoeycfi

Postby Murray Parr » Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:14 am

I had a Weight and balance done on my Waiex B with a Rotax 100hp on the front. Results in metric are as follows (with for those of you who still take measurements based on some random King of the past's foot and thumb size are in brackets):

Empty weight 335Kg (739lbs)
Arm 1637mm (64.45")
This puts the CG at 21.7%

Very happy with the CG and no configuration would put it out of range, but I'm extremely dissapointed with the weight and not sure how it can be this heavy as the Rotax is lighter than most , the wood prop should be lighter than most and I have Earthex battery, MGL Explorer lite with Rdac for engine data which I assume would be less weight than steam guages and other than the Airhawk 500-5 6 ply tires, a transponder, remote mounted radio and ELT and vinyl wrapped instead of painted, I don't know how it can be this much heavier than most others. The scales used are certified and calibrated so I doubt they can be out although I don't know what to look at for weight reduction other than peeling of the beautiful Vinyl which is supposed to be lighter than paint but I don't believe that after having to remove it from the ailerons in order to balance them.

Anyone else having a heavier than expected craft care to share insites?
Murray Parr
WXB0015
Rotax 912ULS
MGL Explorer Lite
First flight May 6/23
RV9 builder (Sold)
Murray Parr

Postby T41pilot » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:10 am

My Sonex B with the Aerovee turbo came in at 728. I've added bigger tires and an oil separator since so I'm probably approaching your neighborhood now. I did vinyl on mine due to the cost of a paint job and the hopes of being a lighter form of finish in the end. I must admit I was disappointed at my final empty weight. I even had to placard my baggage area to limit weight to 30 lbs to get the weight and balance calculations to fall in on the 1150 gross weight. I'm running an Earth X battery as well. I have a finished baggage area that was built with .025 and foam and probably weighs less than a pound. I have a typical single display avionics system with radio, transponder and ELT. I do have a USB hub that might be another pound. I do have dual landing lights. The turbo weighs a ton. That's part of it. Other than that, the plane was built to the plans. Use minimal instruments and stay out of controlled airspace so you can ditch a couple more boxes, fly off paved strips to ditch the bigger tires and the 600 lb range can probably be achieved.
Gregg Kaat
Sonex B #0014
T41pilot

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:21 am

Weight is additive. I've made some changes and taken about 4 lbs out.

Things I could have left out:
1) VOR antenna, cable, and CDI
2) G meter
3) T&B
4) Lights
5) CHT and EGT on the front cylinders (on my medium term list to remove)

Things I took out:
1) Remote mounted oil filter (2.5 lbs savings)
2) Old ELT, replaced with a new one (2 lbs savings)

Things I had to add:
1) air-oil separator, about a pound. I plan to remake it for weight savings.

Things I left off from the get-go:
1) Finishing on the metal parts - all polished.

I'm currently making a baggage sling out of 0.75 oz ripstop nylon. No way am I putting 30 lbs back there. I'll report the weight of the finished sling but I expect it to be about 0.25 lbs.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B