Sonex incorrect aluminum material notice.

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Sonex incorrect aluminum material notice.

Postby rizzz » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:37 pm

SvingenB wrote:Interesting. But there could be other reasons as well. Maybe they have contracts with GP, Revmaster etc regarding these liability issues and therefore see no reason to sell single components to individuals and have to go through all that paper work?

I believe it's just fear of the unknown.

Even when I try to explain to friends about how I'm building my Sonex under the "Experimental" label which means in the end as the builder I'm responsible for what and how I build and judge whether it will be suitable to fly, they look at me with disbelief as if I've lost my mind. I can see the guy working at the local auto parts store around the corner would react in a similar way if you tell him what you're intending to do with the parts he just sold you.

In the case of the CB Performance example above BTW, I don't believe any of the 4 major VW suppliers use any CB Performance parts on their conversions (way too expensive).
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby BK9977 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:25 pm

In the case of the CB Performance example above BTW, I don't believe any of the 4 major VW suppliers use any CB Performance parts on their conversions (way too expensive).

Post deleted by admin
BK9977

Postby Rynoth » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:22 am

Shifting gears a little here and offering a different perspective...

I really would like the Aerovee turbo package. I really don't want to build it myself. If Sonex cultivated parts from half a dozen aftermarket companies, modified the parts to fit their proven package and sold it as a new package with their own label, that's precisely what I'd want to buy. Not even necessarily because it's built by Sonex, but because I would rather professionals did the heavy lifting rather than myself. Sure, there are always ways to cut corners and/or middlemen. For me thus far, the products Sonex are selling meets the "just right" feeling for me by allowing myself to be less engineer/mechanic and more builder/flyer.

BK9977, you definitely seem to have an axe to grind with Sonex. No person or company is above criticism. My participation in this forum is primarily to learn, share, and to give/receive constructive criticism. Is there more you'd like to share/criticize about the business activities of Sonex than you've already shared, or are you about finished?
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby BK9977 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:33 am

Post Deleted by admin
BK9977

Postby Rynoth » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:43 am

Anything else you don't like about Sonex? Just trying to help you get it all out in one place.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:57 am

BK9977 wrote:[Deleted post]

I really hate to jump into this and believe me, I'm not taking anyone's side here, but I don't think anyone at the factory is trying to be misleading by promoting their kits and then possibly producing some sort of modification.

To me (and I honestly think this is what the factory would say if they were to chime in), I think the modifications they offer are the result of customer demand.

After talking to the guys at the factory last summer at AirVenture, they discussed the reasons for devoting so much time into a turbo for the AeroVee. Believe me, it's not because they're bored; a lot of customers have said that they want an AeroVee but one that produces 100 h.p. (myself included!). So now they're working on the turbo project.

Why do you think they now offer the upgraded tailwheel package? Customer demand (I'm sure they saw how well Kip was selling his improved bracket).

Why do you think they created a hydraulic brake option? Same thing; people were doing it on their onwn and the factory wanted to offer their own products.

The Onex? Anything with a tricycle landing gear?

All the same reason guys! After reading the biography on John Monnett, I get the impression that if it were up to John, we'd all be flying tailwheel Waiexes, but due to customer demand, they came out with the Sonex first and immediately offered it in tri gear models.

Believe me, no one at the factory is trying to upset anyone or lie to their customers. They're good people working hard for us!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby rizzz » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:44 am

BK9977 wrote:[Deleted post]

I thought the heads were Mofoco's on the AeroVee (they certainly are on the Hummel), I know RevMaster makes their own.
My mistake.
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Previous

Return to General Discussion