Any VR videos.

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Any VR videos.

Postby GraemeSmith » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:15 am

Cool is stuffing it into that strip with water run offs at either end!! ;-)
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby XenosN42 » Tue May 03, 2022 4:44 pm

Hello everyone,

I've uploaded another 360 degree camera flight, this time with the camera attached to the top of the right wing. Take a look https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXBSzWez6os This placement provides a much better forward view. I did notice that the camera software that blends the images from the front and rear cameras doesn't handle the OneX wing fold point very well. I should be able to get around that problem by angling the camera slightly off straight ahead.
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby Tnhelm » Wed May 04, 2022 1:12 pm

How do you mount your camera? Would like to do same.
tnhelm@gmail.com
Tnhelm

Postby XenosN42 » Wed May 04, 2022 2:06 pm

Tnhelm wrote:How do you mount your camera? Would like to do same.
tnhelm@gmail.com

I have a mount in the cockpit, attached to the forward turtle deck former. That just uses a standard GoPro adhesive mount. I also use one of their 8” flexible extensions to move the camera forward of my shoulder. Example of video from that position: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crqD37tvz0I

For the external mounts I use the adhesive mounts and small screws to make sure the camera isn’t going anywhere. I countersink the holes in the mount so that the screw heads don’t interfere with the GoPro mounting feet.

I have been told that other Sonex pilots have used just the adhesive without screws without losing the camera. However, I think a few small holes are insignificant and cheap insurance. If I didn’t use the screws and lost that $400 camera, I’d be pretty pissed – at myself.

I have two external mounts. One on the upper surface of the right wing. You’ve seen that video. Another is on the bottom near the tail (tail dragger configuration). I haven’t uploaded any videos using that location. It’s a great viewpoint during landing, and during flight if you’re interested in the landscape below.
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
XenosN42

Postby Tnhelm » Thu May 05, 2022 8:48 am

Thanks for the response. I was wondering if mechanically attached, rather than suction cup. I don’t trust the suction cup outside the airplane and also not planning on any additional screw fittings.
Tnhelm

Postby XenosN42 » Thu May 05, 2022 12:50 pm

Tnhelm wrote:Thanks for the response. I was wondering if mechanically attached, rather than suction cup. I don’t trust the suction cup outside the airplane and also not planning on any additional screw fittings.

Sorry it wasn't clear from my previous response. On the outside of the plane I use the adhesive mounts AND screws. Check the GoPro documentation - the suction cup mounts are good up to 100 MPH.
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
XenosN42

Previous

Return to General Discussion