Sonex A Aerovee Cowl

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Sonex A Aerovee Cowl

Postby Stevetin » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:05 pm

Hello All,
My Waiex-A project came with the vertically split cowl years ago. Since then, Sonex came out with the horizontally split cowl and they indicate that "It's a must for the Aerovee engine". What are your thoughts and/or experiences with this?

Thank you!
Steve
Stevetin

Re: Sonex A Aerovee Cowl

Postby DCASonex » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:31 am

Stevetin wrote:Hello All,
My Waiex-A project came with the vertically split cowl years ago. Since then, Sonex came out with the horizontally split cowl and they indicate that "It's a must for the Aerovee engine". What are your thoughts and/or experiences with this?

Thank you!
Steve

"A must" ???? And all this time folks at Sonex have been telling me that my converting my old cowl to a horizontally split was totally unnecessary. Much like my installing hydraulic disk brakes and electric flaps long before they came out with their own.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:33 am

My vertically split cowl seems great. Just ditch the southcos and buy skybolt or Dzus fasteners.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Area 51% » Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:58 pm

I kind of like my Southcos. It was a bit of a challenge getting the lengths correct though.
Last edited by Area 51% on Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Area 51%

Postby karmarepair » Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:15 am

Previous discussion on this topic http://www.sonexbuilders.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3645

My cowling is vertically split. I'm not inclined to change it, but I haven't flown my airplane. It sounds like a lot of work, and I don't care for working fiberglass.

Mike Smith talks about his horizontal split here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbgek8-X14o Discussion starts about 56 minutes in.
karmarepair

Postby wlarson861 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:45 am

I changed to the horizontal split cowl when I changed to a Jabiru. The vertically split cowl worked well but took time to remove or reinstall. The horizontal is great for access for most of the maintenance tasks except an oil change. For that I have to remove the bottom cowl. I can take the bottom cowl off by myself, but to reinstall it takes two people. Having had both, neither is better than the other in my opinion, just different. If I had either on hand I would install that one rather than buying a new cowl.
Bill Larson
N861SX
Sonex, polished, tail wheel, Generation 4 Jabiru 3300
wlarson861

Postby DCASonex » Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:34 am

wlarson861 wrote:I changed to the horizontal split cowl when I changed to a Jabiru. The vertically split cowl worked well but took time to remove or reinstall. The horizontal is great for access for most of the maintenance tasks except an oil change. For that I have to remove the bottom cowl. I can take the bottom cowl off by myself, but to reinstall it takes two people. Having had both, neither is better than the other in my opinion, just different. If I had either on hand I would install that one rather than buying a new cowl.

I converted mine to horizontal split for use with my 3300, but left the bottom portion with its vertical split, so three parts, but supper easy for one person to install or remove.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby racaldwell » Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:17 am

I followed David's design of the three piece cowl made from the vertical split cowl. I really like this design. I have a few more screws than standard but that is because of my own design decisions. Hinges are used for all the long run seams and they work well.

I can remove just the top in just a few minutes. If needing bottom access to only one side of the lower engine, I can remove just one piece of the lower cowl.

I have never had assistance with installing or removing the cowl.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos A model 26 hrs (+2 hrs engine off)
racaldwell

Return to General Discussion