Corvair Powered: Where to put the battery?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Corvair Powered: Where to put the battery?

Postby Tony4aro » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:06 pm

Hi All,

I know the Corvair engine is a little heavy... and I know the battery should be located rearward... but where exactly are you guys putting it? What kind of power cables are you using? and if it's all the way back in the tail... how big of a hatch did you need? (Pics would be great also)

Thanks for any help you can give.
Corvair powered Waiex (under construction)
N3848D
W0181
Tony4aro

Re: Corvair Powered: Where to put the battery?

Postby racaldwell » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:00 am

For the cables, I recommend Fatwire from Pherihelion Design. Large copper coated aluminum wire for high current and very lightweight. They are used by Boeing, and me in my Xenos. Also an Earthx battery to help with the weight reduction.

I don't have a Corvair but a CAMit 3300 and put my two batteries next to the front side of the spar tunnel. They will be under the passenger's knees on the floor which is unused space otherwise.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057 25 hrs
racaldwell

Postby GordonTurner » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:34 am

I am putting my two batteries on the aft side of the crossmember that is the lower aft piece of the “baggage compartment”. I haven’t decided yet if access from the cockpit area will be adequate or if I will need a hatch.

Going to check out those wires Rick. Otherwise planning to use #2 welding cable.

Gordon
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby GordonTurner » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:26 am

Quick check reveals:

Perihelion fat wire is 8 GA, $3.50/foot, and claims to weigh 50% or so, probably relative to 8 GA copper.

8 GA sounds light to me, but not my field of expertise.

2 GA welding cable costs between $0.60-0.90 per foot. It weighs about 1/4 pound/foot, so that will definitely add up. 4 GA is about 1/2 the weight of 2 GA. You should do your own research, but I think starter cable is typically recommended at 2 or 4 GA. Note, NOT 2-0 GA which is way heavier.

The farther the battery is from the starter the more need for heavier gauge cable.

A welding shop will crimp on connectors with their hydraulic press. Alternatively Amazon has a range of crimpers for cable including little hydraulic ones. Obviously these crimps are super important….for good starting and to prevent loose high capacity wires getting loose.

Gordon
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby Tony4aro » Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:53 pm

So... Why 2 batteries?
N3848D
W0181
Tony4aro

Postby racaldwell » Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:59 pm

For me, one battery is for engine starting and one is for soaring. I also can have the EFIS on during starting since the cross-connect switch is off during starting. Otherwise, the voltage sag may cause the EFIS to reboot during starting.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057
racaldwell

Postby Tony4aro » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:06 pm

OK... in your case... that makes perfect sense.
N3848D
W0181
Tony4aro

Postby XenosN42 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:28 pm

racaldwell wrote:For me, one battery is for engine starting and one is for soaring. I also can have the EFIS on during starting since the cross-connect switch is off during starting. Otherwise, the voltage sag may cause the EFIS to reboot during starting.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057

Which EFIS do you use? I’ve used two MGL devices, and turn them on before engine start and have never experienced a reboot.
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Return to General Discussion