Ray Allen stick grip reliability question

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Ray Allen stick grip reliability question

Postby XenosN42 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:01 pm

Have any other pilots had reliability problems with the button switches on Ray Allen stick grips?

I have been using the Ray Allen G403 model. It has a PPT button and two micro switches on the top. One micro switch I use to enable/disable the auto pilot; and the other to acknowledge EFIS warnings (traffic alerts and the many terrain warnings I get flying in the mountains of western New Jersey). The acknowledge switch on my first G403 failed after about 2 years. I tested all the wiring and system configuration, but the problem was only resolved by replacing the entire stick grip. 1-1/2 years later that same switch has failed on the new stick grip. I don’t use that switch so much that it should fail that often. Has anyone else seen this problem? Never any problems with the PPT switch.

Fortunately I kept the first stick grip and will be able to remove the working micro switch and use it to replace the bad switch in my new grip.
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Re: Ray Allen stick grip reliability question

Postby XenosN42 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:10 pm

Today I looked at the broken micro switch from my old Ray Allen stick grip. It was fairly easy to remove and open the switch. Inside I found the spring, a very small metal contact plate and a very small plastic contact rocker. That plastic rocker was broken. Pretty cheap construction for a moving part that is subject to frequent use. I’ve decided to replace the switch with a different switch of a similar size. I have about 20 of these new switches, so if it breaks I’ll be able to replace it easily.
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
XenosN42

Postby 9GT » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:21 pm

My building buddy has over 700 trouble free hours on his G403 Ray Allen stick grips in his Cozy MKIV.
David Clifford
Howell & Gladwin, MI
RV-9A: Under Construction (I'm a repeat offender!)
RV-10: Built & Sold: Flying Since 2013 N959RV
Cozy MKIV: Built & Sold: Flying Since 2007 N656TE
9GT

Postby XenosN42 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:33 pm

9GT wrote:My building buddy has over 700 trouble free hours on his G403 Ray Allen stick grips in his Cozy MKIV.

Lucky.
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
XenosN42

Return to General Discussion