Any use the ACR/Artex 406test?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Any use the ACR/Artex 406test?

Postby 13brv3 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:19 pm

Greetings,

I have an Artex ETL, and had my antenna in a (far) less than ideal spot. The plan was to sign up for their 406test site to verify that the self test was reaching the satellite. After no joy on a few tests, and no answer from Artex, I moved the antenna to the turtledeck. Next test, still no report from the system, and still no answer from Artex. Eventually, I think I got everything entered correctly on their site, and I finally got a report back from my self test.

The question is whether you expect to see your actual position reported? There's no place for a position in the report, but they do have a map on the site, which shows nothing. I got a text right after the test with a Google Map link, but the lat lon was all zeros. The self test passed, which won't be the case if there's no position data. I've even inadvertently tested that... Just curious if anyone has used this, and seen a position reported?

Thanks,
Rusty (waiting for the FAA to approve the DAR)
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (145 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Re: Any use the ACR/Artex 406test?

Postby lakespookie » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:46 pm

what is the GPS Position source i know some of them take it from the avionics so if your avionics were off you would not have any position data.
Saturday's Building Live Stream
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete
Wings Closed Out = 02/04/2024

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
Engine Spyder 120 corvair conversion
lakespookie

Re: Any use the ACR/Artex 406test?

Postby 13brv3 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:15 pm

Sorry, forgot I posted this here also. The answer I got (not from Artex who never returned any of my messages) is that no position will be provided for the test report. The position is only provided in the event of a real activation. The selftest will fail with a 5 beep code if the GPS position is not available, and the test passes, so it should all be good.

Rusty
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (145 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Return to General Discussion