Looking for assistance in Central Florida area.

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Looking for assistance in Central Florida area.

Postby tps8903 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:52 pm

Hi everyone,

I finally pulled the trigger on a Sonex. It's a near complete airframe with an Aerovee. Need the tail kit, a couple items on the panel, final assembly and a little paint. It will be my second plane build to completion.

I am in the process of converting my Canadian ATPL to a FAA ATP. I am currently working as an airline pilot and just relocated to Florida from Canada.

There are two things I need assistance with, the right person could help me with both in one swoop!

1. I need a generous Sonex owner to take me flying for 1 hr in their Sonex to satisfy the requirement for my insurance. Which was surprisingly cheap. My preference would be a taildragger, but beggers can't be choosers.

2. Canada doesn't have a tailwheel endorsement. So despite my 400 hrs tailwheel time, including commercial tailwheel operations in the high arctic, I can't fly my Sonex here in the USA. So if that same person, or a different person happens to be a CFI and would be willing to endorse my log book after the flight(s), that would be fantastic. In lieu of this I'll have to pay for a commercial tailwheel endorsement course.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
email is my username @gmail.com
Chris Morris
Sonex N998PC - SOLD!
Sonex #1732 - Aerovee Turbo
Central Florida
tps8903

Re: Looking for assistance in Central Florida area.

Postby wlarson861 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:29 am

You may want to check the regs on the tail wheel endorsement, I had tail wheel time in the 80 as a private pilot student. When I built my Sonex I was told I was grandfathered and didn't need an actual endorsement for tailwheel. I would check with the FAA before paying for a rating you may not need.
Bill Larson
N861SX
Sonex, polished, tail wheel, Generation 4 Jabiru 3300
wlarson861

Postby tps8903 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:13 am

wlarson861 wrote:You may want to check the regs on the tail wheel endorsement, I had tail wheel time in the 80 as a private pilot student. When I built my Sonex I was told I was grandfathered and didn't need an actual endorsement for tailwheel. I would check with the FAA before paying for a rating you may not need.

Thanks Bill. I saw that specific exemption in the regs. I plan on asking the FAA inspection officer if I can get an endorsement directly from them given the amount of time I have in a tail wheel aircraft. They are converting my float endorsement and multi engine endorsements with no issues as Canada has equivalent endorsements.

I've had no luck with Florida Sonex owners yet. I'm willing to travel! or wait for Sun n Fun. Anyone wanna take me for a 1hr ride?

Thanks,

Chris
(I'll work on a signature)
Chris Morris
Sonex N998PC - SOLD!
Central Florida
tps8903

Postby Area 51% » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:19 pm

If you're under 130lbs I'll take you up.
My 240, plus enough gas to matter, really cramps my Waiex's style.
My wife and I share the same toothbrush when we travel.
Area 51%

Postby tps8903 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:28 pm

Area 51% wrote:If you're under 130lbs I'll take you up.
My 240, plus enough gas to matter, really cramps my Waiex's style.
My wife and I share the same toothbrush when we travel.

Unfortunately I'll only ever hit 130 part way through the cremation process. But thanks for the offer!!!
Chris Morris
Sonex N998PC - SOLD!
Central Florida
tps8903

Postby Hasbenij » Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:59 pm

Sonex1374 might be able to assist you with the sign off.
Jeff is a CFI, has a Standard Gear Sonex, assisted me, is a great person and has a detailed sing off procedure.
Might be better to email him. You can find this under his profile.
He is located in the Kansas City MO area.
Hasbenij

Return to General Discussion