accident N313RC

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

accident N313RC

Postby WaiexN143NM » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:19 pm

Hi all,
This just posted to http://www.kathrynsreport.com posted 23 nov, accident 20 nov 21.
KLEW, maine.
gear collapsed on landing. Not sure if tri gear or td.
not sure of the a/w, sale reported per faa registery.
no injuries, always good to hear.
Graeme mentioned this one a few days ago, was awaiting a n number and posting.

Thanks also to Mark S. (sonex llc) for the good post on accidents, graeme for helping out your local fsdo as a safety rep,
and your safety posts. Ron W. for providing valuable info on accidents.

strive for safety!

WaiexN143NM
michael
WaiexN143NM

Re: accident N313RC

Postby XenosN42 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:30 pm

-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby WaiexN143NM » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:58 am

Hi all,
Doing a little research on N313RC, original n number assigned to northwest airlines MD-82 , 1982.
reassigned 2010 to richard chasse newport Vt. sonex.
faa registry shows reported sale no name.
possible new owner, within that ‘10 hour’ NBO non builder new owner time frame.
How can we help fix this trend?
giving rides in our planes to new sonex owners may help. sonex, waiex, xenos.

cfi’s with sonex waiex xenos time
loda’s
insurance requirements
all tough to get bundled together

paying it forward giving rides may get the new pilots ready for official training requirements.

what do you all think?.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby racaldwell » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:16 am

Hi Michael,

From my experience which is: I have never flown a Sonex aircraft before my 1st Xenos flight Oct. 1 this year, that there is not a requirement to fly specifically Sonex aircraft to make it safe. Other higher performance type aircraft work just as well. So I would recommend some hours of transitional training in an RV (because that is available) and then renting tailwheel aircraft to fly weekly (if that is your Sonex configuration) such as a Citaberia or similar. I'd say the key is fly often at least weekly before flying a Sonex first flight.

I my case, 21 yrs of flying my RV-6, 8 yrs of flying my One Design, and some others from Pitts to Blanik thrown in made the switch to the Xenos no issue. I am currently flying a RV-6, Xenos, and Skybolt (IO-540) each week. So basically, fly often and fly a variety if at all possible will do much to help increase your chase of success.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos N137RC 9 hrs.
racaldwell

Postby GraemeSmith » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:25 am

Thanks to Mark at Sonex - Ron and I are pooling some resources and research to get some sharper answers.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby WaiexN143NM » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:28 pm

Hi all,
Just watched a good video on avweb. Paul B. has a you tube video titled ‘why do so many lsa airplanes crash’
Remember in an engine failure you may forcefully have to get the stick forward.
get to best glidespeed
look for a landing area
run the checklist

aviate
navigate
communicate

if you have time to talk , dont know the local freq, use 121.5. all atc facilities monitor it.
short on time, non populated area , put 7700 in the transponder. trust me the fire/police/ems will be coming.
you could also trigger your 406 gps elt early.

#1 fly the plane till u stop! do NOT stall spin. the outcome will be bad.

strive for safety!

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby N190YX » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:50 pm

As Michael wrote, #1 fly the plane till you stop! Do NOT stall spin. Airshow legend Bob Hoover used to say if you are going in, fly the thing as far into the crash as you can. What this means is do not attempt to defy the laws of physics and stretch a glide with the resulting stall when you become a passenger and the plane is going down out of control. I witnessed a pilot total his Bonanza (walked away though) after he ran a tank dry on downwind at a 10,600' runway and could not change tanks because his headset cord was wrapped around his fuel tank selector! Which he knew but instead of dropping out of the four ship formation to fix it, he thought he could make it! (Bad judgement) So he glided down, lined it up over the runway, no problem, even lowered the landing gear, but then stalled it at 50-75 feet over the runway and pancaked it in, so much damage the Bonanza was totaled. Please, for the sake of our insurance rates, if not for your life, maintain airspeed if you are making an emergency landing. At the least that way you contact the touchdown spot in level flight, able to avoid the worst spot if no good spots are attainable.
N190YX

Postby WaiexN143NM » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:29 am

Hi all,
Reviewing the faa webpage on accident incident data, reporting on N313RC
narrative says the prop was missing. Dont know if the prop or prop with hub was missing off the vw.
then a deadstick into rwy, a high descent rate which collapsed the gear.

strive for safety!

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Return to General Discussion