Helmets

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Helmets

Postby racaldwell » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:42 pm

Somebody asked about helmets. Here is a picture of the helmet I am using for the flight testing of my Xenos, among others. It is a Bonehead Composites sky dive helmet and very lightweight and comfortable. I added the visor I bought separately from another helmet supplier which I have forgotten which one, Maybe Gentex?? Bonehead now makes a helmet specifically for flying. So you don't need to retrofit one.

I use Clarity Aloft for the headset. I also made a single seat with maximum space in the back for my backpack Strong parachute.

This picture was taken as I was flying the Steen Skybolt "Yellowbird" with a CFI to meet insurance requirements. I now only have a couple more hours of solo needed before I can carry passengers. So if you want a ride in a Skybolt, come on down!

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057
Attachments
Bonehead Helmet.jpg
racaldwell

Re: Helmets

Postby GraemeSmith » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:27 pm

Tough in my Sonex sitting left side. I have the lowered seat mod. I use a thin band headset to stop it scratching the plexi. In this shot I am sitting direct to the metal seat pan as I am wearing a parachute and it doesn't work with the cushion. And today my winter hat - which would be about the amount a helmet would add. I'd be clonking off the plexi.

20211120_083625_Shrink.jpg
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby GordonTurner » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:33 pm

Fearsome helmet. Looking good.
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby pfhoeycfi » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:39 am

For what's its worth...Purchased this Sky Cowboys helmet for towing gliders in the Pawnee & L19 and will likely use it during the Sonex test period. Its essentially a SAR helmet with the Peltor headset adapter. I was easily able to adapt my DC Onex headset to the helmet. The visor and cam mount were optional. This helmet seems to be popular within the STOL community.

peter
Attachments
helmet.jpg
helmet.jpg (95.31 KiB) Viewed 1126 times
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Return to General Discussion