Parts availability?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Parts availability?

Postby sjakulski » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:37 pm

DCASonex wrote:
Murray Parr wrote:I had the same problem with the hardware call outs, most fasteners ended up with just 1 thread showing and failed the first inspection and I had to order on many occassions correct hardware from spruce. I also found the rivets supplied weren't near enough quantity. I have lost count of how many times I have ordered an extra 100 of most size rivets and still look like needing more. Freight gets expensive to Australia having to keep doing this. I love everything else about the Sonex, it would be great if they refined this.

Murray
Waiex B 0015
TW
Rotax 912 UL90% complete/90% to go

A decade ago, found just the opposite on bolt lengths, most were longer than needed requiring either short bolts or extra washers which would have been extra weight. Not counting the odd sizes, estimated about 11,000 rivets (A Sonex is 11,000 stainless steel rivets held in close flying formation by a minimum amount of aluminum.)

David A.

I also see they call for a number of AN525 (Philip head bolt), but I refuse to use those. I will be ordering AN3’s to use instead.
sjakulski

Postby Murray Parr » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:18 pm

sjakulski wrote:
DCASonex wrote:
Murray Parr wrote:I had the same problem with the hardware call outs, most fasteners ended up with just 1 thread showing and failed the first inspection and I had to order on many occassions correct hardware from spruce. I also found the rivets supplied weren't near enough quantity. I have lost count of how many times I have ordered an extra 100 of most size rivets and still look like needing more. Freight gets expensive to Australia having to keep doing this. I love everything else about the Sonex, it would be great if they refined this.

Murray
Waiex B 0015
TW
Rotax 912 UL90% complete/90% to go

A decade ago, found just the opposite on bolt lengths, most were longer than needed requiring either short bolts or extra washers which would have been extra weight. Not counting the odd sizes, estimated about 11,000 rivets (A Sonex is 11,000 stainless steel rivets held in close flying formation by a minimum amount of aluminum.)

David A.

I also see they call for a number of AN525 (Philip head bolt), but I refuse to use those. I will be ordering AN3’s to use instead.

What is your reason for not wanting to use AN525 phillip head bolts? Most of those are in the airflow so I assume they are for more streamlining.

I see in some of the plans revisions that Sonex has updated hardware sizes, it is probably a matter of how many builders inform them of the correct callout lengths.
Murray Parr
WXB0015
Rotax 912ULS
MGL Explorer Lite
First flight May 6/23
RV9 builder (Sold)
Murray Parr

Postby SP1 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:57 pm

Just ordered my B tri-gear motor mount; 8-12 weeks
SP1

Postby sjakulski » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:35 pm

SP1 wrote:Just ordered my B tri-gear motor mount; 8-12 weeks

Ridiculous, huh.
sjakulski

Re: Part substitute for kit supplied clip

Postby sjakulski » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:47 pm

8247357E-5232-47B8-BD63-4658E9D98BDD.jpeg
Chose this snap ring for Fairlead Assembly (WXB-F29

Snap ring instead of silver clip…much preferred solution…easier application (WXB F29)
Attachments
F3A847AF-5D9B-4B85-91A3-1C09868DEB6E.jpeg
Ignore the primer overspray :)
sjakulski

Postby rhpavlock » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:15 pm

I received the replacement B model fuel tank straps this past week. I thought the process was easy and pretty quick considering the times we’re in. And I’ve always enjoyed my interactions with the Sonex staff, good people.

As an aside I manage rental properties for a living and even basic appliances have been going on BO for up to 4 months. Supply chain interruptions and personnel shortages have hurt pretty much every business big or small.

Fly when you can
Russ
Sonex N481RJ (reserved)
C152 N757PT
rhpavlock

Postby jrs » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:26 pm

Both fuel tank straps and flap brackets came in this week. Was just down looking at tank to get fittings installed and the seasoning started. Came back up to find the email about another change to the fuel tank installation process. Think that I will wait a bit and see others experience teaches.
jrs

Previous

Return to General Discussion