1st start

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: 1st start

Postby Spaceman » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:57 pm

I'd be interested to see what the incorrect vs. correct oil pump looks like if anyone has any pictures! I looked back through my photos of the engine build but I guess I didn't really take any of the oil pump.

Also, does any of this actually damage the turbo at all or is the leaking into the turbo just a symptom that will go away when the oil scavenging gets figure out?
Chris Paegelow
N21YX / Waiex-B #21 / Roseville, CA
http://paegelow.blogspot.com/
Spaceman

Postby T41pilot » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:25 am

I'll let you know Chris. The output port on my pump was not drilled through to the center of the pump. A problem from the supplier or shop that Sonex uses to modify the pump. The oil had no path to exit the pump and just came out the cover and backed up through the turbo. You can inspect your pump by taking the front cover off and making sure you can see the ports have been drilled through to the center where the gears are. Apparently the problem can be on input or output side. I'll have to send you a pic of mine showing the error in an e-mail or PM. Kerry told me to just drill it out myself or it could probably be sent back for them to do it. I'm re-installing my turbo and hoping for the best. My runs were brief and RPM never got past 1500. Fingers crossed.
Gregg Kaat
Sonex B #0014
T41pilot

Postby Spaceman » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:01 am

What an odd thing to run into. I will have to check mine before I start it!

For everyone else's reference, here's Gregg's picture by the way

IMG_20210830_095224591.jpg
Chris Paegelow
N21YX / Waiex-B #21 / Roseville, CA
http://paegelow.blogspot.com/
Spaceman

Previous

Return to General Discussion