Parts availability?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Parts availability?

Postby sjakulski » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:33 am

As a new Waiex-B builder I am being stymied quickly into the project. Moving right along on the aft and tail section. I am ready to put it together. 1st problem, however, was a crucial back ordered part still not delivered. Thus, various assemblies lying all around waiting…waiting…waiting. Also, I was sent CCC-44’s instead of CCP-44’s. Sonex shipping them but it was not a quick turn-around. In the meantime flush riveting some parts just to keep going. Ordered some from Spruce as they got to me quicker. Also finding that a number of called for AN bolt sizes are incorrect. (looking for three threads end of bolt.) Had to use some in the kit destined for other tasks…so I will need to order more to correct the shortages.

Any other builders running into parts/back-order delays?
sjakulski

Parts availability?

Postby Gmoney » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:59 am

I have had amazing service to this point. Ordered some replacement parts. “I screwed up” they delivered really quick. If I had any issue it would be you almost always have to call Sonex. I have become so “amazon” trained. I just want to fill cart and walk out to the mailbox.
Give Kaylan a ring this morning. She has been amazing and patient with me.
Something else and I just learned this from a YouTube video. Sonex outsources most of the kit parts to keep cost low. So like the rest of the world they may be suffering with back orders and shipping delays.
Experimental aircraft channel was the interview that highlighted Sonex.
Gary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gmoney

Re: Parts availability?

Postby sjakulski » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:11 am

Yep, been working with Kaylyn. Nice enough. But, BO since May? I have asked about the status for a week now, but havent gotten an answer about it yet. Hope it turns around…cant build a kit if parts are missing/unavailable.
sjakulski

Parts availability?

Postby Gmoney » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:43 am

Just sucks.. I work for a decent sized company and just my location is 200 million in shipping past dues. Best case is 12 million a week outbound. I’ll sympathize but at some point. I’ll snap..

Not sure on the parts you need. But is scratch building that piece an option. Obviously not ideal but it could keep the project moving.
G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gmoney

Postby Murray Parr » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:33 pm

I had the same problem with the hardware call outs, most fasteners ended up with just 1 thread showing and failed the first inspection and I had to order on many occassions correct hardware from spruce. I also found the rivets supplied weren't near enough quantity. I have lost count of how many times I have ordered an extra 100 of most size rivets and still look like needing more. Freight gets expensive to Australia having to keep doing this. I love everything else about the Sonex, it would be great if they refined this.

Murray
Waiex B 0015
TW
Rotax 912 UL90% complete/90% to go
Murray Parr
WXB0015
Rotax 912ULS
MGL Explorer Lite
First flight May 6/23
RV9 builder (Sold)
Murray Parr

Postby Blank » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:10 pm

Same issue here with my MGL radio order from the Sonex site. Looks like it'll be 4 months, maybe less, from the date of order. Shipping appears to be the issue.

Craig
Blank

Postby jrs » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:56 pm

I have been trying to get in touch with them about both the gas tank straps and the flap control brackets for the new flap actuator. I need both. Does anyone know if these are shipped automatically or do we have to request them ? Sonex has not responded to email request and I have not been able to get support people on the phone. Just the opposite of my past experiences so either they are really stretched thin or I'm doing something wrong. Have had several reasons for contacting them in the past and have nothing but good things to say. The way it is here in MI is that everyone is short handed and there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel. Personally I think we are seeing the effects of most of us boomers walking away from the job market.
jrs

Postby DCASonex » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:14 am

Murray Parr wrote:I had the same problem with the hardware call outs, most fasteners ended up with just 1 thread showing and failed the first inspection and I had to order on many occassions correct hardware from spruce. I also found the rivets supplied weren't near enough quantity. I have lost count of how many times I have ordered an extra 100 of most size rivets and still look like needing more. Freight gets expensive to Australia having to keep doing this. I love everything else about the Sonex, it would be great if they refined this.

Murray
Waiex B 0015
TW

A decade ago, found just the opposite on bolt lengths, most were longer than needed requiring either short bolts or extra washers which would have been extra weight. Not counting the odd sizes, estimated about 11,000 rivets (A Sonex is 11,000 stainless steel rivets held in close flying formation by a minimum amount of aluminum.)

David A.
DCASonex

Postby sjakulski » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:37 am

DCASonex wrote:
Murray Parr wrote:I had the same problem with the hardware call outs, most fasteners ended up with just 1 thread showing and failed the first inspection and I had to order on many occassions correct hardware from spruce. I also found the rivets supplied weren't near enough quantity. I have lost count of how many times I have ordered an extra 100 of most size rivets and still look like needing more. Freight gets expensive to Australia having to keep doing this. I love everything else about the Sonex, it would be great if they refined this.

Murray
Waiex B 0015
TW

A decade ago, found just the opposite on bolt lengths, most were longer than needed requiring either short bolts or extra washers which would have been extra weight. Not counting the odd sizes, estimated about 11,000 rivets (A Sonex is 11,000 stainless steel rivets held in close flying formation by a minimum amount of aluminum.)

David A.

Likewise, but finding both scenarios and washer sizes to get correct threads. Don’t want too long of bolts either with too many threads showing. unsightly and heavier ;-)
sjakulski

Postby jrs » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:48 pm

Spoke with Order Support from Sonex today. Turns out I was doing something wrong, no surprise.
What might be interesting is that she said there was a mass email that went out in July to confirm everyones shipping address for the tank support straps. I did not get that email and didn't see in in my spam folder. Sure that some tech filter somewhere along the way decided it didn't need to go thru. For B model owners, if you didn't get the email you might want to follow up.
jrs

Next

Return to General Discussion