Instruction in Experimental Aircraft

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Instruction in Experimental Aircraft

Postby racaldwell » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:43 pm

Yes, the FAA is reacting fast on this one. Mine took 2 days. And I learned something. They only issue them for the aircraft you own. I asked for my Xenos which I am still building, my RV-6 which I have been flying for 21 yrs, and the Steen Skybolt that I have been flying with an instructor for insurance requirements. I have 2 more hrs. to go with an instructor and then I will be one of the two pilots for Steen's Yellowbird. The FAA only included the RV-6 & Xenos on my LODA. No mention of the Skybolt.

But since I am not paying anything for the Skybolt instruction, I don't think I needed one anyway for it.

So if you want to scratch that biplane itch, come on down to MLB and I'll take you flying.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057
racaldwell

Postby GraemeSmith » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:13 am

Rick,

AOPA just carried an article about the FAA prosecuting instructors who were not charging. The flight time being considered compensation for the CFI.

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/aop ... l-aircraft

Careful about your Skybolt situation.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby pilotyoung » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:33 am

I have been highly critical of the FAA on this one. I do have to commend the FAA for issuing LODA's quickly. I would have bet good money that no one would see a LODA for months, and people started getting them in a few days. I got mine in less than a week. But I also have to say that while they have issued a lot of paperwork, it did not accomplish anything. It was wasted effort that could have gone into some constructive activity that would have increased safety.

But this position of not charging and it is still considered as receiving compensation to wrong. I am 73 years old, I am an ATP, 3 type ratings, CFI, CFII, CFMEI, CFIG, have all the ratings I am ever going to get, about 10,000 hours. I dont need any additional hours. The only way I can see me getting another rating is if I win the lottery big and decide I want to fly an helicopter. In other words, I would have money to just waste.

So when I decide to help out a friend and do his flight review just because he is a friend, I can't see where that is really compensation. I guess the FAA does not understand friendship.
pilotyoung

Postby Scott Todd » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:27 pm

I applied for a LODA to teach in my Kitfox and for a LODA to provide instruction in other owners airplanes. We'll see what happens.

My wife, a pilot and Aerospace Engineer, points out, or rather asks, how do they determine instruction is given? By all their descriptions about 'free' instruction and what counts as compensation, how does an instructor even get in an airplane? If I go for a ride with a buddy, is he getting instruction? Being an instructor, the pilot could interpret a facial expression as concern or advice on something he is doing. Instruction? Does that count? Without saying a word, or signing a logbook, he could still gain something from me just being in his airplane. Instruction? What if he asks me a question after the flight? Does that mean instruction was given?

This is SO messed up...
Scott Todd

Postby Fastcapy » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:24 am

Scott Todd wrote:I applied for a LODA to teach in my Kitfox and for a LODA to provide instruction in other owners airplanes. We'll see what happens.

My wife, a pilot and Aerospace Engineer, points out, or rather asks, how do they determine instruction is given? By all their descriptions about 'free' instruction and what counts as compensation, how does an instructor even get in an airplane? If I go for a ride with a buddy, is he getting instruction? Being an instructor, the pilot could interpret a facial expression as concern or advice on something he is doing. Instruction? Does that count? Without saying a word, or signing a logbook, he could still gain something from me just being in his airplane. Instruction? What if he asks me a question after the flight? Does that mean instruction was given?

This is SO messed up...

Yeah, the entire thing is crazy overreach.

A good friend in the FAA (FAAST rep) told me that there is work going on in congress to get a bill to "fix" this mess.
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Postby Fastcapy » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:32 am

LODA Update:

I applied for a LODA for my Sonex, and another for instructing. (The instructing one was for multiple aircraft). I sent them in on Friday the 16th.

I got an email yesterday (22nd) with the signed LODA's for both.

Interesting thing is they came from a different FSDO...

It is just stupid to me that they are basically on a shall issue status with these so it is really nothing more than just additional time and paperwork. Nothing more.
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Postby Scott Todd » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:27 am

I received LODA's to instruct in my Kitfox and other experimental aircraft which I'm qualified to teach in. The wording is such that I can charge a fair market price for the instruction but I can't charge anything for the use of my airplane.

While the whole thing seems a bit messed up, I have to commend the FSDO reps for getting right on this. So its basically back to normal for me and others that send in the paperwork but I see how it controls the 'rides' being counted as instruction in Warbirds and such.

People receive LODA's for experimental airplanes so they can charge for using them for things like transition training. Now the Warbird community will have to do something similar.
Scott Todd

Postby GraemeSmith » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:14 am

Fastcapy wrote:Interesting thing is they came from a different FSDO...

Asking my FSDO yesterday were my LODA was....

The work is being teamed out around the FSDO's on the basis of the number of available Inspectors to do the work - not on a geographical basis.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Scott Todd » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:33 pm

I live in AZ but mine were signed by someone in Florida. It took exactly a week. They sent me two back. One so the Kitfox can be used for instruction and one so I can provide instruction in other experimental airplanes. I guess, technically, the one authorizing me to give instruction in any Experimental airplane would cover me in my Kitfox. But since I got a specific one naming the Kitfox, someone else could use it to give instruction as long as they were not charging for the airplane.

At first I was a bit miffed at the FAA for this whole thing, but I must say, I'm impressed with their quick response. After seeing how it's all playing out and reading the exact LODA wording, I kind of get it. They are looking after us EAB guys but the Warbird folks may struggle more.
Last edited by Scott Todd on Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Todd

Postby Sonex1517 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:33 pm

Spotted this on Facebook….
Attachments
5BA6102D-9CEF-4059-B11A-5ABC58AFCEB8.jpeg
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
375+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4