New guy with build questions

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: New guy with build questions

Postby DCASonex » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:02 am

Another two cents worth. I have a GRT EFIS. to which I have also added autopilot. The autopilot is unnecessary if just local fun flying, but turns a neutral stability Sonex that you have to FLY at all times into more comfortable cross country machine where you can sit back and watch the scenery and for traffic. Sonex do bounce around with air currents when not above the cloud level and I would not want to be fiddling with a small smart phone touch screen in that situation. The EFIS has actual buttons and knobs. Moving map display with ABS-B IN also aids in watching for traffic. That also adds access to in flight information for destination and airports in route as well and weather reports and radar. The various EFIS split screen modes that combine map, flight instruments and engine monitor are quite practical on my 8.5" display. I think GRT also offers a backup battery. I do have an separate airspeed indicator, and recommend using that when landing as the electronic digital displays do not update as fast as a Sonex can change speed. I also have a home built Lift reserve indicator info for which can be found in many places, a simple non sensitive backup altimeter and a good quality auto compass.

I learned to fly back when even steam gauges were pretty limited, (1 st was a non electric Luscombe 8A ) but the conversion to the EFIS was very quick and after a few minutes with that would never go back.

An EFIS allows installing and seeing display of all CHTs and EGTs at one time which steam gauges cannot do, can track record those over time, and offer better info for leaning, especially if running over peak. Additional monitoring functions can be added without revising panel.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:13 am

When learning to fly, less is more. It is way more important to learn to keep your eyes out of the cockpit. I learned in a 1946 PA12 and it taught that lesson well.

I have a simple EFIS in my Waiex and no attitude information. I am instrument rated. The Waiex is not the plane for that in my opinion. Plus weight is the enemy.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby OtterlyFoolish » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:40 am

fastj22 wrote:One thing to really consider is a LRI (Lift Reserve Indicator or AOA). A few years back someone was selling these on the innertubes which is basically a HVAC filter gauge (differential pressure to tell you when to replace the filter) and custom inkjet printed card, plumbed to a 3D printed probe, mounted under the wing that measured the differential pressure from two sources. You calibrate by flying into a stall, land, adjust the probe, fly again into a stall, adjust the probe, repeat until it stalls right at the red line on the gauge. After that, if you keep it above the red, you won't be dead. No electrons (pixies), just air. Works at all airspeeds and density altitudes. Life saver. These fancy EFISs do the same thing, but require angry pixies to make it work. If you can find the guy who was making these its worth the $250 and when all the pixies fly away from you, you still have something to land with. And you will land much slower than you ever thought you could.

That is two votes for the LRI. I really need to investigate this. Sounds like a good idea even if I get a display panel.
Student Pilot
Western MA - KGBR
#0024 Waiex B QB
Aerovee Turbo

My Sonex build on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xug4ugK ... rningToFly
OtterlyFoolish

Postby OtterlyFoolish » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:51 am

mike.smith wrote:The Sonex panel is limited, so electronic instruments go a long way to allowing you to put everything you want into your panel. I recommend you physically try the ones you are thinking of (like at Airventure), not just pick it based on the literature.

I have a property sale closing on the 28th but as long as it stays on track I am hoping to grab a last minute flight up to Airventure this year and sleep in a rental car if I have to so that I can check out a lot of the vendors products in person.

At this point I am no leaning towards a single 8.5" efis display in front of the left seat (maybe center) and then the LRI and compass is long as I have a good battery backup for the display. Still toying with the idea of an ASI and altimeter if they can be T'd off the pitot and static tubes used by the efis.

I am getting a MGL V6 Com radio but should I also get a V16 Nav radio? I guess that I do not properly understand what that is for. I know that you tune to VOR frequencies but aren't those being taken out of commission? I still plan on learning the mechanics behind them because you can never know too much but I am not sure how for into the future it will be useful.
Student Pilot
Western MA - KGBR
#0024 Waiex B QB
Aerovee Turbo

OtterlyFoolish

Postby OtterlyFoolish » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:00 am

DCASonex wrote:Another two cents worth. I have a GRT EFIS. to which I have also added autopilot. The autopilot is unnecessary if just local fun flying, but turns a neutral stability Sonex that you have to FLY at all times into more comfortable cross country machine where you can sit back and watch the scenery and for traffic.

Autopilot is another one on my radar for sure. Sounds like you have a very similar setup to what I am thinking of doing. I have seen GRT mentioned in a few spots but I have not done any research on them yet. I have mainly been looking at the MGL for wiring simplicity and they seem a little more economical. It is real easy to spend some real dollars on a panel so I am trying to be reasonable about my wants without sacrificing needs.
Student Pilot
Western MA - KGBR
#0024 Waiex B QB
Aerovee Turbo

OtterlyFoolish

Postby Rynoth » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:03 am

OtterlyFoolish wrote:That is two votes for the LRI. I really need to investigate this. Sounds like a good idea even if I get a display panel.

I made a short video demonstrating an LRI in action:

https://youtu.be/7aVS91ogf1c

It's my favorite instrument in the plane.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby OtterlyFoolish » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:10 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:I have a simple EFIS in my Waiex and no attitude information. I am instrument rated. The Waiex is not the plane for that in my opinion. Plus weight is the enemy.

I really only use the attitude indicator to confirm what I am seeing outside as far as angles go because I live near a lot of mountains and it can be deceptive at times looking straight ahead. I am working on using my peripheral vision more but still getting comfortable with that. I continually scan my ASI and altimeter though. I do plan on getting my instrument rating after my PPL purely as a precaution/insurance plan. I will most likely build a 4 place plane later for longer and potentially IFR flights. This will be a time builder and used for quick trips on weekends to see people I would not normally get to see if I had to drive. I feel that it can not hurt to have the data though and not need it.
Student Pilot
Western MA - KGBR
#0024 Waiex B QB
Aerovee Turbo

OtterlyFoolish

Postby OtterlyFoolish » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:20 am

Rynoth wrote:I made a short video demonstrating an LRI in action

Thank you, that is helpful. I am curious why you did not calibrate the stall indicator to be at the top edge of the red arc to be more precise on the reading. Is it possible to fine tune it like that?
Student Pilot
Western MA - KGBR
#0024 Waiex B QB
Aerovee Turbo

OtterlyFoolish

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:13 am

OtterlyFoolish wrote:I really only use the attitude indicator to confirm what I am seeing outside as far as angles go because I live near a lot of mountains and it can be deceptive at times looking straight ahead.

I grew up in the Northeast and have flown to GBR many times. You should not need it. Don't become dependent on attitude info in VFR conditions, mountains or not.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Onex107 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:37 am

An AOA should be a required instrument on all GA airplanes. If price is a factor the plans are free on the internet. I built mine out of scrap aluminum with a $65.00 differential pressure gauge. You will be amazed at how close you can come to a stall in a high banked turn. It is essential to do a maximum turn while practicing the impossible turn. Don't hesitate. Do it.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion